• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customized components revert to their default state after updating library.

Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've decided to change opacity of buttons' disabled state. Now all customized buttons in my design reverted to their default template state from cloud document. I have a lot of buttons in my design, so manually fixing them one by one is not an option. Is there any way to fix this? Or at least is there any guide on how should I use linked components so that they don't revert to their original state?

This is a very urgent question, because my work is totally ruined now.

Update: I've tried to capture this issue step by step with a new document with new lincked assets, but could not replicate exactly the same behavior. Instead I've got another issue which ruined buttons components in my design. Added new video attachment.

Update 2: I've got a new issue, after making a local component from a linked one it lost it's Default state and the ability to add new states. I can not attach an Adobe XD file here for some reason but here is rhe screenshot.

Annotation 2020-04-19 031454.jpg

TOPICS
Data loss , Design , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. As per your request, I found an article which includes details on working with linked assets and you can refer to the article here:https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/linked-assets.html

Regarding the second issue, please confirm the version of Adobe XD and also please share a sample file so that we can test it on our end and we'll get back to you.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to create, use and customize linked assets. I was asking for a guide on how to avoid linked components reverting to their default states or getting duplikated elements inside components.

In one of the videos I've created a new file, so I don't see why you need MY file. I've already shared another file for another issue several months ago and got nothing out of it.

There are a lot of reports of different issues with components in general here in Support Community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm afraid I can't get a clear or complete impression of what you're doing with these customized Components, based on your explanation and videos. So it would be nice to get a bit more information on what's the situation.

The issue with the linked Component not showing its original States, is clear though. But unfortunately I can't reproduce what you're getting (I'm seeing the States showing up without a problem). So there must be something different or strange with your file. Would be nice to verify it in some way with your files. Could you email a copy (or minimised version) of your file with the original Component, and a (new) file which holds a linked copy, not showing the States ?

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-24 om 02.31.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've created a new file with components missing their default state and sent you both source and a new one. But I can tell you right away, that in your example you have a component with 2 states - I have no issues with those. In my example I'm copying components with the single Default state - in this case issue appears in 100% cases.

I'll try to explain my issue with customized linked components (I'm not going to try to recreate it, because I don't want to remake them again in my design):

I have a cloud document with button temlates, like a button with icon only, button with icon and text, button with text only - each one has several states, like Default, Hover and Disabled. I want to use these templates to populate buttons in my design. So here what I did:

1. Created new local document and linked assets from my cloud document by pressing Link Assets.

2. Dragged linked components for buttons into my design. Then replaced icons in button templates with the ones I need in my design (for example replaced "+" icon in the template with the "heart" icon to make a "Like button") and changed text to what I need (for example changed the "BUTTON" to "SAVE").

3. Created a local component for an app bar that consists of some background and these customised linked components for buttons.
4. Went back to my cloud document and changed the opacity for the Disabled state inside my button templates.

5. In my local document I pressed Update All in library panel and all buttons' Default states in my app bar reverted to their original template with "+" icon and "BUTTON" text. Hover and Disabled states kept my new icons and text, like "heart" icon and "SAVE" text.

6. I had to replace icons and change text on all Default states of my linked button components inside the local app bar component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Montexz,

We apologize for the frustration. We understand it could be annoying for you and thank you for sharing the steps. We would like to know if you've shared your file with Peter. If not, we would request you to please share the file with us so that we can escalate the issue to the team and they can further investigate on it.

You may upload the file to a shared location such as Creative Cloud app or Dropbox and share the url with me over a private message. 

Note: Please share the url of this post over a private message for reference.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received the files.

I'm trying to get my head around this, but I still can't figure out what the problem is, exactly. And maybe the problem is that there are already multiple issues (for separate situations) in this one discussion. In the files I received (and in the accompanying email) there's an explicit mention of having absolutely and intentionally no extra State involved. But in the recent post it's about extra States again. So I dont know what I need to test or investigate.

Sure, there are enough flaws, bugs, and crazy thoughts in the area of Components, linking them, making certain local overrides, and updating them again. Maybe it's not clear enough which changes in properties are considered to be actual overrides between Master and instances of Components, or linked and local ones, and which changes are regarded as differences per States.

The somehow required connection between these two features is a definite brain-teasing one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, I've sent you 2 files for the issue when components lost their Default state after making them local: example-library.xd is the source file from which I copy components, components-no-default-state.xd is the file where I paste these copied components and select Make Local Component after right clicking them in the library. Here are screenshots for more clarification:

Annotation 2020-04-29 110356.jpgAnnotation 2020-04-29 110406.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh !! I've got it 🙂

You created a Component, which has a Default state.

You pasted the Component into a different document.

It appears as a linked Component, which is correct.

But when you change it to local, it becomes stateless !

I can also fully reproduce the behaviour with your Component.

But... I can also create and paste new local Components which retain their state(s).

So there must be a crucial difference in your Component and mine.

And there is !

The whole button Component you create and paste consists of other Components, which already have many states ! (I noticed that when pasting the Component into a fresh file.) Turning the copied and linked Component into a local one, still keeps its Components within it linked to the original components, and also retaining all its original states.

So I guess Adobe XD is eventually getting a bit mixed up by these local and linked states of the whole local Component and the still linked Components within, resulting to giving you no option to change or add any states at all. I tried turning the inner Components also to local ones, but that didn't make the States option appear in the Properties for the whole local Component.

Is this a bug ? Maybe. The situation gets at least unhelpful by leaving a user clueless, and not offering any feedback or pro-active remedy or options to consider while getting into this mess. Like a warning, saying "Your Component contains inner Components" or "This Component has conflicting States within its inner Components".

The original Component (I changed the Master plus into orange)

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-29 om 23.06.18.png

The Plus as its own Component, with many states:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-29 om 23.06.47.png

The whole Component bringing along its inner Components: 

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-29 om 23.09.43.png

The inner Component still linked to the original Plus:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-29 om 23.10.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug because if you add an additional state to these buttons and save the file before copying them (you don't have to change anything in this additional state, just add the second state) - everything will be fine after pasting them to a new file and making them local. I use this workaround now by adding an additional state and removing it after making component local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, here is the example of linked components going wrong in my local file after making changes to the Master in the source cloud document. In this instance all customized icons on tabs in navigation bar disappeared. But this issue is not consistent, sometimes they revert to the default icon that is used in a template (in this case it is a "home" icon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the second issue I haven't had time (yet) to take a better look at it. Maybe later or tomorrow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having a similar issue. The original components contain heavy SVG files. I open it, change out the SVG in the master component for an image which fixes the issue. After saving, closing and reopening, the SVGs have reappeared. They are all local components. So don't understand why this keeps reverting back. Its makign the files unworkable due to the size when reverted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines