• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable double click for conversion to path

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very often accidentally convert to path the shapes (i.e: rectangles) in my designs, when I just want to dig through the child objects.

I really would like to have the option to disable convert to path with double click. Converting to path should not be that accessible. Once you accidentally convert to path, few saves later, it cannot be switched back... "Convert to Path" should be in the contextual menu or selected element properties menu (right side pane) or through a keyboard shortcut (which already exists).

Note: you can revert the convert to path using Esc key only if you just did the conversion, provided that you notice that you notice its icon in the layers view changed to a path icon... Just dont wait too long to revert... you might not be able to do that later.

TOPICS
Data loss

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

They won't change it because of your feedback, as I've seen relatively few people complain about it.

I agree it's not the best interaction though. It's not about how long you wait, but if you made ANY modifications while in "path mode", even color / shadow, it stays a path.

My advice would be to use Ctrl/Cmd+Click instead to select objects that are deep in the groups / layers. This way you can't click too many times, and you can't convert to path while selecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They won't change it because of your feedback, as I've seen relatively few people complain about it.

I agree it's not the best interaction though. It's not about how long you wait, but if you made ANY modifications while in "path mode", even color / shadow, it stays a path.

My advice would be to use Ctrl/Cmd+Click instead to select objects that are deep in the groups / layers. This way you can't click too many times, and you can't convert to path while selecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting shortcut you shared, however sometimes you go too deep into the layers and you then have to use the left side layers pane to select the parent layer. It is too many steps in my opinion.

Also I have seen around the web, people asking how to convert back things from path to their original non-path type because they had accidentally converted the objects to path. They missed posting it to the adobe community instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, there are a lot of bad things about Xd's user experience (ironically). Sometimes you want to click twice and edit it, sometimes you don't. One's faster at the cost of the other.

The path thing works the same way as Illustrator and Photoshop, once it's a path, unless you can undo with Ctrl/Cmd+Z, it's done.

That's logical, since primitives and paths are treated differently, as you can edit some traits of a primitive - imagine a polygon, you can add corners, round them and do all sorts of things. If you move or add a point, then the relationship between the points becomes "custom" and no longer fits the algorithm.

With that said, the software should be able to tell the difference between a moved point and a color changed. And if you haven't moved any points, it should stay a primitive. I guess that's too much to ask provided we don't even have dark mode yet 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ElNiass,

Thanks you for reaching out and sharing your feedback. In addition to what Dstoic said, I  have found out two uservoice link related to the conversation here.

I would suggest submitting your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Figma perhaps is better option no? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree. This is a pretty bad idea, as a lot of designers are converting shapes by accident. And then we have to redo evrything. Especially because "selecting" stuff is one of the main weaknesses with all Adobe Software for the last decade now.

Not sure why Adobes UX Team was implementing this feature in the first place. Any Head of Design should have a strong enough vision to see this will cause massive problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh god, please please add this. Like...tomorrow would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please add a way to at least convert the path back to a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines