• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Erratic Moving Behavior When Moving a Layer or Layer Group

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug/usability is now a blocker for my project.

When trying to move a layer or layer group 1 pixel, the layer of layer group jumps right by 70 pixels, and up by 200.39 pixels.

It doesn't happen for every layer, but I need this layer in my component.

I have tried:

• Using the arrow keys
  • Entering the number in the transform attributes panel.
  • Updating to the latest version.
  • Uninstalling, and reinstalling the app.
  • to be patient, but this kind of thing happens way more than it should for an Adobe product.

I really don't want to go back to using Photoshop for my mockups.

Please Please Please, instead of releasing gradients and drop shadows, focus on usability issues and bug fixes.

This is not only a visual design tool. It's an application for creating experiences. And currently, the experience for the users of this app ranges from elation to cringey bad.

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. Can you confirm the problematic layer/group is inside a component?

You can post a screenshot of your setup with the layers panel open, so we can try and think of a solution for your situation.

I advise against resizing and drasticly changing components that have already been made. As you noted, they are quite inconsistent and glitchy, so base your workflow on first setting up all the items that would be in a component, and only when everything is in place, then create it. I would also avoid too complex animations and big movements with component states.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spas,

Thanks for resonding so fast. Much appreciated. I can't post a screenshot, due to privacy. But I can describe everything as much as possible.

I am literally trying to move a layer group (that has no components inside) 1 pixel, and the result is that the layer group is moved hundreds of pixels away, in two different directions at the same time. The arrow keys work perfectly fine for many other layers and layer groups in the same file.

The layer group does have one repeat grid inside.

While I usually do set almost everything up before turning it into a component, it's also an unrealistic expectation (just like the issue with reordering component states). I always encounter the need to change elements within a component after creation, and it should be reliably easy to perform such a basic task without the app having issues.

None of my components have animation.

This component only has 2 states.

Does Adobe have a support phone number? I know these forums are supposed to be case deflection, but I haven't seen this issue since I used Sketch when it was first released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I get what the issue is, I think I've encountered it once or twice before. I am fully aware how clunky components are, and they still have some obvious use cases (like menu items or buttons), which don't work nearly as well as they should.

You can contact Adobe through here, the chat icon bottom right, there's a phone number as well. I doubt they'll help you with something that's clearly a bug. It's more likely they will point you to some help page or tutorial.

You have a bigger chance finding an answer in the community, since that's where we discuss such issues. Unfortunately, I don't remember any particular conversations about this issue, or fixes / workarounds, as it hasn't been mentioned too often.

Try to ungroup / group the problematic layers / groups, and try to move them again. You can also try to ungroup the repeat grid, or delete different elements from the group until it moves properly, which would help to diagnose what causes the bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decoupled the layer group, converted it into a component, and then added it to the larger component. That seemed to fix it.

I really hope Adobe will soon focus on improving the usability of Adobe XD, rather than the marketability.

I love Adobe, it has been my tool of choice for the last 24 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I definitely agree. They tried to do a lot of new things with Xd in terms of technologies, "touch friendly", UWP and all that, which kinda backfired imo. You won't see any such clunkyness from Photoshop or Illustrator. Xd feels more like a mobile app than a native professional tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines