• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find the file path for an open XD file

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge issue for me and remains unanswered.

I simply need to know the file path of an XD file which I have open.

I am not opening a file.

My file is open and I am working on it and I need to be sure that I am saving locally NOT to the Cloud or anywhere else.

Just a file path for the file I HAVE OPEN!

(Illustrator has this and it's so easy)

Please and thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Martin,

Hope you doing good!!

If you want to save the file you are working on locally, you can go to File -> Save as Local Document and save it anywhere in your machine.

I am afraid to say that if you are using cloud file, it will be saved in the cloud space and only you can open the file from XD but can not see the file or path for that neither it will be accessible by anyone else. Only it can be seen or edited by corresponding email id in which you have created it.

Let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Nawneet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you have misunderstood the issue. OK - I must be phrasing this incorrectly.

If I am WORKING IN AN XD FILE ie I have it OPEN.

Here is the question --- 'Where can I find the FILE PATH for my OPEN file?'  I need to know where it is stored?

(I suspect there is no way to find out)

Thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi martinw,

in the home of Adobe XD, in the "Recent" section, below the preview of your file is also reported where it was saved. If it is a file saved on the cloud, you will find it written "Cloud Document". If it is not saved on the cloud, you will find the path where it was saved. Hover over it to see the complete path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Can you tell me please, when I have my XD document OPEN  and lets say I am working on it - how do I access the 'Home' and 'Preview' screen?

In other words when I am working in my OPEN XD file where do I hover to establish the whereabouts of my file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuntely, XD does not have that feature implemented the same way that many other apps do.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou - a clear answer to a clear question. I will post a request for this to be added.

Cheers Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Nawneet said if you do Save as Local Document it will show you where the file currently lives. (A Cloud Document has a cloud icon next to the file name.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

—And in that dialog box, you can right/ctrl-click on the saved file and have it show in Finder. Can't wait until XD is scrapped and replaced with a desktop Figma with good Adobe add-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, Adobe XD does not expose the file path of an open document directly within the application's user interface. This means you won't find the file path in any of the menus or panels while working within Adobe XD.

However, you can find the file path of an open XD document using the following steps:

1. Save the XD file: If you haven't already done so, save the XD document to a specific location on your computer.

2. Locate the file in the operating system: After saving the file, navigate to the folder where you saved it using your computer's file explorer (Finder on macOS or File Explorer on Windows).

3. Copy the file path: Once you've located the XD file, you can find its file path by right-clicking on the file (or Control-click on macOS) and selecting "Properties" (Windows) or "Get Info" (macOS). In the properties window that opens, you should see the full file path.

Keep in mind that Adobe XD may have introduced new features or updates since my last knowledge update, so it's always a good idea to check the latest version of the software or relevant documentation for any changes or improvements related to accessing file paths within Adobe XD..............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines