• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Copy > Paste a Master Component from one XD File to Another?

Contributor ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a button master component complete with hover state in one XD file, and need to copy > paste it over to another XD file. However, once I do, I get a little link icon instead of the master component icon. If I unlink, it turns into a normal group, and when I turn it back into a master component, it has lost it's hover state.

How do I bring the original master component over to my other XD file, without it being a link, and still retain the master component and hover state?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Hi Danldurall,

By following the given stems you can get your master component without it being a link in another file

1. Copy the master component and paste it in the new file
  2. right click in the component in assets panel. A context menu will appear.
  3. Click on "Make Local component" in the context menu. The link icon will dissapear.
  4. Again right click on the component in the assets panel and in the context menu click on "Edit Master Component".The master component will appear in the pasteboard.

Ho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Danldurall,

By following the given stems you can get your master component without it being a link in another file

1. Copy the master component and paste it in the new file
  2. right click in the component in assets panel. A context menu will appear.
  3. Click on "Make Local component" in the context menu. The link icon will dissapear.
  4. Again right click on the component in the assets panel and in the context menu click on "Edit Master Component".The master component will appear in the pasteboard.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jagriti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironic. This went unanswered all weekend so I sat down this morning to try again and coincidentally landed on the same steps you outline here, just as you post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. Good to know that you solved your problem. Hope we could be of help sooner next time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helllo, i'm doing, but the problem is...

Exemple: i have 4 documents, in each documents i have many diferents master components. I want to move all the master components of the fdifferents documents to a new document (new document just for a master components) to organaise the work. 

If i do the advice of your past link and i copy the masters components of the old documents and i move to the new document for a master components, paste and make it as a local component, i'll lose the link of each master component with their chill oweride components it had in the document it was. 

How i can do to move the master component to the new document but keeping the link of the soon components it have in the old document?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work anymore. There is no "make local" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can accomplish the same thing by doing the following:

1. Copy master component into new file

2. Right click on pasted component and select "Edit Main Component".  Because the main component does not exist within the new document, it will automatically create a new master component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable, Adobe takes away the only option to circumvent a problem (create local component) for which resolution has been sought for years.
We urgently need the functionality to create master component from instance.

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/39094900- Need-a-w...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We understand your concern and thanks for sharing your feedback. We will make sure to share your feedback with the team for making improvements in the future.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines