• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to retain Image file names when placing into templated components in XD?

New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

We use templated components to mock up a design. (For example a component might consist of a gray box called "Background image," as an image placeholder, a line of lorem ipsum headline styled as a headline, and another line of lorem ipsum styled as a subhead).

When I place an actual image into the placeholder, the image box is still named "Background image." Is there any way within XD to see the file name of the image I've placed into the "Background image" box? 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

@Denise5C98 , I know the reason for this and the solution but my reason and solution are fairly as a users since I use the software everyday but not as a person who has developed this software.

According to me, Lets assume we created a rectangle box. The default name of the box appears as "rectangle <num>" where the <num. part takes an progressive number count of the item. In this stage the name "rectangle <num>" is a default name. If I place an image in the rectangle, the name of the item now ch

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Denise5C98 , I know the reason for this and the solution but my reason and solution are fairly as a users since I use the software everyday but not as a person who has developed this software.

According to me, Lets assume we created a rectangle box. The default name of the box appears as "rectangle <num>" where the <num. part takes an progressive number count of the item. In this stage the name "rectangle <num>" is a default name. If I place an image in the rectangle, the name of the item now changes to the name of the image and this is because the rectangle is a default name which can be changed by the name of the image. Now, before inserting the image, if I had changed the name of the rectangle to "background" I'm forcing the software to acknowledge the name of the item to be Background and never change. Thus even if I put an image now into the now called "background", the item will not take the name of the image nno matter what.

Hence my solution to you is, Dont rename the name of the item as "background" but retain it as a the default name. If this is done, then when you use the tempate in the future, if an image is dropped into it, the item will take the name of the image.

Please lemme know if this fix works.

Gracias, Jose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Jose.

That worked! I experimented by dragging an image into a rectangle with the default name, and dragging another image into a renamed rectangle.  The one with the default name changed its name to match the image and the renamed one did not change. In fact, the one with the default name changed its name every time I dragged in a new image into that same box.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines