• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

in XD 44:unable to change the placement of the image within the shape.

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, since the most recent few updates I've been having an issue where trying to update a shape's background image placement by double clicking the shape converts it into a path and I can no longer edit the image placement.

Here's what is happening:

1. I create a shape, most of the time I work with rectangles.
  2. Sometimes I add stylings to the shape but not all of the time (e.g. border radius, shadow, etc.)
  3. I drag an image into the shape to create a mask of that shape with the image.
  4. I try to change the placement of the image (more the image to the left from within the shape, for example)

The way I used to be able to do it is by double clicking the image, then I could edit the placement.

When I double click the image now, the shape becomes a path (icon goes from square to a pen tool) and the anchors become available, but I am unable to change the placement of the image within the shape.

Is there a way to prevent this? Maybe a shortcut that will only allow me to change the placement? Or is this something that is a bug?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Product performance , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the details of steps with video. I tried to replicate the issue at my end and if you double click on the image inside the rectangle then you should be able to move it around. 

If you double click on the edge of the box then it will convert it into path.

Please see the attached video:-

XD 44 Path.gif

Let me know if this is what you're trying to do. I am here to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harshika,

Thank you for your reply. I am clicking the inside of the box (not the edge) and it is still having the same issue. Would there be a keyboard shortcut to do what I'mk trying to do instead of double clicking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I see where the issue lies here.

When the image in question that I'm trying to change positioning to, has border radius and/or shadow and I double click, then it becomes a path. Else, if it doesn't any of those properties, I am able to change the position of the image.

I now believe this is a bug. How can I go ahead and report it. I can give any information needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that Hashika has the correct answer in the case where a Shape has a background image.

To give further details, if you double-click within 3 pixels of border, then Shape gets converted to a Path, otherwise background image edit mode is entered. If you are using touch or pen, then range is 8 pixels.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Randy

If you see the attached gif to my original question, you can see that I am double clicking well inside the image. This is happening throughout that and other documents.

(The gif seems slowed because I had to remove frames to make the file size smaller, however, you can see the first click when the shape is selected, then the second of the double click when the shape turns into a path)

However, when I remove all external stylings (in this case both, the rounded edges and the shadow) then I am able to double click any image to move the background.

I am not able to do it as the video that Harshika said if I have a shape with a rounded border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I missed original gif. I think there is a bug related to drop shadows (but I can't see to reproduce it v43).

HTH,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both very much for your help.

This is a project that I've been working on for a longer while now, so there is the possibility that the project file being made in an older version of the application may be causing the issue. However, I'm afraid I don't know which version I was using when I started this project.

If there's anything that you need from me, I'd be happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the bug I was referring to:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd-discussions/bug-can-t-edit-photo-in-shape-when-dropshadow-is...

It happens when Drop Shadow is on and Border is off.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines