• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts Missing in Adobe XD Mobile Android App

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i read a lot of articles about "missing fonts" in adobe XD.

but after all, i'm still not sure: is it a bug or not.

for example:

i downloaded the font 'merriweather sans' on 'font squirrel'.

i added it to the creative cloud via 'creative cloud desktop app' (win10) using the option "manage fonts / add fonts to creative cloud"

after doing this, i am able to use 'merriweather sans' in adobe xd desktop app.

problem:

fonts are missing on 'adobe xd mobile app' (android) when i open the cloud-document.

question:

is this a bug?

or is not possible in general to see synced-fonts (i'm not talking about fonts from 'adobe fonts') in 'adobe xd mobile app'?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

It's a limitation, not a bug.

Basically, you can only use fonts available on Adobe Fonts, if you want them to show up in the mobile Xd app. A lot of google fonts are also available on Adobe fonts. Unfortunately, Merriweather Sans isn't one of them.

You can add your own fonts to Creative Cloud, as you have already discovered. I thought if you had the CC app on your mobile device, along with Xd, they will sync and show up, but apparently that sync is only for desktop devices (for now). Here's a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've seen as responses from Adobe employees, it's not so much a bug, but a limitation.

Seems the prototype in Android is rendered as the actual elements in Xd (text is actual text), while in the web prototype, everything is converted to static graphics, even text. So for you to see the font on Android, that font will have to be available on the device as well. Otherwise it is replaced with some defaults. I think there was some mention of licensing issues with making used fonts available on the device, but I can't find the thread right now. 

Otherwise, I was under the impression fonts available on Google Fonts worked, but Merriweather Sans is available there and you say it doesn't. Maybe you can try installing it from Google fonts instead of fontsquirrel, in case there is some difference in the naming of the font and it can't identify it (this has happened to me before).

There are some methods on how to install fonts on Android and iOS, but I'm not sure its always feasible.

As a final "solution", you can just open the prototype link in the phone browser, which should work fine for checking how it looks / works. The other option would be to convert the text to outlines in Xd, but I don't imagine that's in any way convenient 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your reply!

i also tried the fonts provided by 'google fonts', but it also didn't work.

i downloaded the files from google and tried/uploaded them separately.

google fonts:

• MerriweatherSans-Regular.ttf – doesn't work.
  • MerriweatherSans-Bold.ttf  – doesn't work.

– i also tried the variable font: –

• "MerriweatherSans-VariableFont_wght.ttf" – doesn't work.

font squirrel:

• MerriweatherSans-Regular.otf – doesn't work.
  • MerriweatherSans-Bold.otf – doesn't work.

it would be really nice to know:

• doesn't it work in general? (because of a conscious limitation by adobe)
  • is it bug that it doesn't work in my case
  • does it depend on the kind/type of font?

just for the record:

i also have to "reinstall" / "reupload" the fonts I want to use in the 'xd desktop app' everytime after rebooting my computer – otherwise it isn't possible to use them in 'xd desktop app'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a limitation, not a bug.

Basically, you can only use fonts available on Adobe Fonts, if you want them to show up in the mobile Xd app. A lot of google fonts are also available on Adobe fonts. Unfortunately, Merriweather Sans isn't one of them.

You can add your own fonts to Creative Cloud, as you have already discovered. I thought if you had the CC app on your mobile device, along with Xd, they will sync and show up, but apparently that sync is only for desktop devices (for now). Here's a quote from the help page:

"Can I add fonts to Creative Cloud to use on my mobile devices?
Currently, adding fonts to Creative Cloud will give you access to your fonts on desktop devices only when you sign in to the Creative Cloud desktop app. This feature will be available to Creative Cloud mobile apps in a future update."

So for now your only option is to either install your font manually on Android through some not-that-easy methods you can look up, or to just view the prototype in the mobile browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, i'm coming here from Google search results trying to resolve the same problem. Sometimes the app displays fonts and sometimes it doesn't. Usually mutilple restarts will get it to display the same font it refused to display 30 minutes earlier, is that not a bug, not a limiation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just expand the font. Object > Path > Convert to path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines