• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to turn off the Border stroke by default in XD?

Advisor ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every single time I make a box or something it adds a border stroke by default. This is so annoying as I don't want a border stroke like 90% of the times. Is this a bug or something? Cause surely no intelligent software engineer would actually make border strokes a default feature? I'm so tired of removing that border stroke!! Please Adobe, make this nightmare go away. If you insist on forcing this upon us as default then at least make a "remember this choice" checkbox or something. And please stop asking people to upvote obvious stuff for it to be considered on your official XD developer site! If you keep on doing that this application will never lift off as anything other than an eternal "in progress" project. Some things are just a must. It doesn't have to be voted on. C'mon Adobe, really?  

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

I did not find a similar feature request here Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

You can create a request using that link. If the feature gets enough traction by way of votes, the team can prioritize it for future development.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Hi there,

We are sorry for the frustration. I have found a similar request has been raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/34322818-set-object-to-default-to-no-stroke

Please submit your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not find a similar feature request here Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

You can create a request using that link. If the feature gets enough traction by way of votes, the team can prioritize it for future development.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I just wrote in my post: Please stop asking people to upvote obvious stuff for it to be considered on your official XD developer site! If you keep on doing that this application will never lift off as anything other than an eternal "in progress" project. Some things are just a must. It doesn't have to be voted on. C'mon Adobe, really? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I don't think it's that obvious at all. We've talked to a ton of people, and no one else has mentioned the desire to have border as defaulted to off. Please do file it in UserVoice, and we can see what others think of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A ton of people? I work in a pretty large design environment with over 85 designers and creatives. I haven't talked to anyone that have tried XD that doesn't find this default border stroke annoying. Think about it, how often do you need a default border stroke when you are drawing boxes and elements to be used in an UI? What did you do in PS? You avoided that. A border stroke is an added style. It is something you add by need, not something you would like to turn OFF a billion times a day. Listen, if you think your doing the right thing then at least add a "remember this choice" function so the rest of us (and I still believe we are the most) can have the pleasure of not dealing with that insanely annoying default border stroke. I urge you to keep consistency.

Ps: This has been added to the user-voice, but its odd to see how often you avoid fixing obvious issues in XD and always point to that user voice forum. For instance you didn't introduce underline to text before people added it a million times to the user voice whilst most people would take that as a must have and not a nice to have. Same thing with fixed elements and a ton of other things. Dear Adobe, please iterate this application by common sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not yet EVER used a shape with a border. It's the weirdest default setting I've seen in any Adobe program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling there hasn't been an opportunity to get detailed feedback from a team of designers using the product in production. The "ton of people" might be the rest of the dev team, or maybe actual designers just be assuming that this is still so new and the obvious things will be corrected soon. It's just such a basic thing in the design world that a border is not a default.  Love the product in general! Great work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a stroke on most objects in a design is just bad design in general. I'm annoyed that there isn't a way to default to border-less boxes also. Even some applications allow you to default by the last shape drawn or set a default when on a home screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with perrybrus, since a default border is not needed in 99% while designing. At least make this function optional and let the designer choose to disable or enable it. In Sketch it is the same frustrating issue, but at least there I can hit the shortcut B and get rid of the border; this is also missing in XD.

Serkan Zararsız

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also fell that the border must be off by default. 90% of the time I find if annoying to turn off the border manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's fairly common sense and logical that most boxs (divs) do not have a border in modern designs? Regardless of the people you have spoke to.  This VERY reply box for example has no stroke? It should either remember last option, or just allow a setting if you adobe insists on defaulting it on for "a ton of people"! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread kind of shows how out of touch adobe is getting... sad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chipping in...   What idiot turned default border on???

Turn it off plz...

*every* shape I draw i have to turn it off again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear "elainecc". It IS obvious. If you "talked" to random people on the streets who consider MS Powerpoint the most powerful graphic design tool there is, then yes, I get it. But NO sane graphic designer in 2021 uses and desires to have that defalt. It's obnoxious, uneffective and totally maddening. Please don't feed us with "UserVoice" and do what you are supposed to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't think it's that obvious at all" - Ma'am, when would we as designers need a stroke, a grey stroke at that, to be activated by default? As an industry leader, you would think Adobe would know that options are the best thing in the world and that having strokes enabled by default would be a bad idea.

It's now 2022, and there are still no signs of this being a reality. On the idea page on UserVoice, EVERY SINGLE REPLY is people begging, pleading, and asking for this feature to be removed, yet it's not. Very crazy considering it's been 4 years at this point. This gives off the impression that Adobe doesn't care about its customers. There's not one single employee or team that can do this? Really? Please correct me if I'm wrong but this doesn't seem like a giant project the devs would need to undergo. Maybe change like 4, 5, or 6 lines of code? That's it? Am I right? I hope not, otherwise, you guys wouldn't have any excuse for not giving two pickles about your customer base. This is straight pitiful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lujerex,

We understand your concern and will make sure to share your feedback with the team for making improvements in the future.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey are you working on this issue yet? It seems ridiculous to even need anyone's opinion on this, as it seems extremely obvious that no one would want a stroke as a default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Omg, those template generated answers are the worst !! You have your customer trying to communicate very clearly!

Such a Shame from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please have border as defaulted to off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Border stroke ON by default is so annoying. I watch so many XD videos and the first thing I see everyone do after creating a shape is uncheck the border. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree, very frustrating feature 😞 would much prefer to add a border only if i felt it was necessary 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry for the frustration. I have found a similar request has been raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/34322818-set-objec...

Please submit your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agree 100%, I actually found this article by searching 'how to remove stroke by default' super annoying. I think it is common sense, as some say it's not really anything people think about. Just look at 95% of finished products from this and you'll rarely see a stroke in general. Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE REMOVE THE DEFAULT BORDER AROUND SHAPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG IT'S AS ANNOYING AS ALL CAPS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines