• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with Component

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the issue I am facing with the component.

- I created a tab component which has the repeat grid in it.

- After I created multiple tab states, I edited the content inside the repeat grid for those respective tab states.

- When I go back to the default state and edit the content inside the repeat grid, all other component states edits are gone or reset to what is there in the default states repeat grid.

This is so frustrating as I lost all the painstaking work done in the rest of the states of the tab component. This happens only for the default states' edit, If I do the same kind of edit in the repeat grid under the rest of the Tab component's states, those edits does not reset or override the rest of the component states' repeat grid contents. 

Kindly help. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Okay, I guess I figured out the solution. The way to do it is by converting every item inside those repeat grids as components. After converting the Title, Description etc as individual components, if we edit them in the default grid, which is the master component, they dont affect the other component instances in the repeat grid. I followed Howard Pinsky carefully and learnt this proper way of doing it. Thanks to Mr. Pinsky. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rajan.

So I couldn't exactly recreate your issue, but the repeat grid does seem to behave a bit weird within a multi state component.

For one, grid 'copies' don't seem to reflect the changes made to the first grid element.

They act as instances, so if you manually changed the grid copies in other states, they will stay as edited, but if you never made changes to them, they will reflect changes made to the grid in the default state.

You can make a video and upload it, so we can investigate this further and see what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spas,

Thanks for your response. As I mentioned, in my component I have used a repeat grid to have contents for various tab states. For example, my tab states are 

- Classes

- Courses

- Teachers

- Contact Us

I have created a repeat grid inside my component, and inside the repeat grid, I have content for the Default state which has some carousels running, under the Classes I have edited the content inside the repeat grid and changed it to the upcoming classes design, under the Courses, the repeat grid content is edited to show the number of Courses available,  same goes to Teachers and Contact Us. 

Now lets say, I go to the default state of my component and edit even the color of the text or edit the text or do anything like even hiding some text or icon there, the contents inside all other states are all gone and they all only reflect the content of the default state. 

This is the problem, hope this helps. I will try to upload a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, that's what I thought the problem was as well.

To tell you the truth, components are quite fragile and I don't normally use them for complicated stuff. I tend to use them for icons and buttons mostly, maybe textfields.

If you insist on using a repeat grids, I would advise you to first make the grids outside of the component, and paste them within the component later. This way if something breaks you will have a backup of the grid and won't lose work. I would have all the grids as separate groups within the default state, and hide / show them depending on which tab you are.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thats what I did. Plus, I mimicked the Default state as a separate state by Duplicating it and completely ignored the Default state. That is also a work around, but I am surprised that Adobe is not looking at this silly bug. And also very much intrigued by the fact that Howard Pinsky creates components inside components and in fact recommends to present the whole work as a component for the ease of editing purpose during client presentations. I wonder how he does that with these silly bugs, plus my system just cries out of memory if I use a component inside a component.

Anyway thanks for your time and I wish someone at Adobe is looking at our issue and trying to figure out a solution soon. By the way, I love XD and I never done professional design before, just started doing seriously now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I guess I figured out the solution. The way to do it is by converting every item inside those repeat grids as components. After converting the Title, Description etc as individual components, if we edit them in the default grid, which is the master component, they dont affect the other component instances in the repeat grid. I followed Howard Pinsky carefully and learnt this proper way of doing it. Thanks to Mr. Pinsky. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines