Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please add Opening Local XD files on the Home Screen

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Seems like in order to push the users to save all their files in the cloud, you have removed browse local files from the home screen (Startup screen). There are still quite a few of us who still access and save XD files locally. Now there is no way I can open a file from my local machine when I open XD except for browsing through my File Explorer.

Please add a feature so that I can browse through my local file on XD startup.

Thanks,

Robert

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Hi There,

Yes you are correct, open local document is removed from welcomescreen. 

You can open local documents from the Welcome Screen (and anywhere else) by using the keyboard shortcut Shift+Cmd+O(MAC) and shift+ctrl+o (Win).

Please raise for vote https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/40600444-open-local-documents-from-welcome-screen if you like to bring back local document in welcome screen.

Thanks,

Vertika Gupta

Adobe XD

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Yes you are correct, open local document is removed from welcomescreen. 

You can open local documents from the Welcome Screen (and anywhere else) by using the keyboard shortcut Shift+Cmd+O(MAC) and shift+ctrl+o (Win).

Please raise for vote https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/40600444-open-loca... if you like to bring back local document in welcome screen.

Thanks,

Vertika Gupta

Adobe XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you F'ing KIDDING me. - Talk about DARK PATTERNing. This is nonsense - FIX IT NOW!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bhavana, 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, Will try to bring back to open the local document from the welcome screen in the upcoming release.

Stay tune!

Thanks, 

Vertika Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Vertika and Team Adobe,

I see you have finally come to your senses and returned the 'open a local document' to the home screen—like, duh!, but still, I wanted to give you a high-five for fixing this, literally, stupid and disgusting problem. This is a good reminder than not all theoretical solutions are practical solutions.

Cheers,

Post Scriptum: Vertika is a nice name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what I get really sick of? having to press open file twice everytime, becuase I forget that open file doesnt actual try to open a file form my computer, instead i need to close that dialogue box down, go back to the stupid hamburger menu on my windows pc and find open local document instead...you know the complete opposite workflow and logic from EVERY OTHER program you prodcue? many of us use mutliple programs daily, this is like when you tried to change the fundmental nature of photoshops zoom and undo recently. Just stick with what we are used to to and what we expect, ctrl+O, or open file should try to open a file. cloud documents should be the secondary option - not the default. we arent working over the cloud! we are workign on our local machines with a locally installed version of XD. this is really frustrating, why do you need a diffeent worflow and fundemantla ui for this one program when every other pgroam you make works fine with the standard ui? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. I found a similar discussion which you can refer here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/please-add-opening-local-xd-files-on-the-home-screen/m-p/113...

Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: the change in Photoshop's Undo was a welcome one, since Photoshop was the odd one out, compared to all other applications (and not even just the Adobe ones). But for the rest, you're totally right. Adobe XD is trying to steer us away from local files, while we're not expecting such an automatically cloud-inclined workflow, yet. There are certainly good reasons to work with a cloud-based file, in order to share and collaborate much easier. And in mobile apps most data resources are almost always cloud-based. But when working on files with computers, our behavior and actions are different. The cloud should still be the secondary option.

I've seen users losing work, by closing a cloud-based file after changes they didn't want to get saved.

I've seen users losing work, because their network configuration changed while working on a cloud-based file (or leaving it untouched but opened for a longer while), which resulted in a corrupted file.

I've seen users losing work, due to their unawareness of the fact that their file was initially saved to the cloud, while later on they were not able to get online when they needed to revisit the file...

tog doodzonde never.jpg

Mr. Bruce Tognazinni (and me), one of the principals at the renowned NN/G, standing next to a banner quoting one of his ground rules...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GWATdesign_0-1597799501195.png

Somethings goign with the latest update, I cant even open a file anymore on windows, just give us a top menu bar instead of making us go through 3 sub menues to find something that should be present on screen at all times, 99.9% of users are on desktop with mouse and keyboard. Apprently I need to start a fresh document to even acess the file menu, why isnt the file menu present on the home screen? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please get the open from local option enabled not sure who concluded the research on removing it. Please please please get it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shashikanth,

We are sorry for the frustration. I assume you've already updated the uservoice link mentioned in this post. You will definitely see improvements in the future. 

You may also check out this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/adobe-xd-saving-options-are-changed-after-xd-29/td-p/1114628... in order to open the local documents.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines