• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling group with strokes

Explorer ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im starting to use XD more and more recently and im puzzled to why a cannot scale a group that has lines within it without the line weight not scaling with everytning else in the group. every time i scale the line weight remains the same but everyting scales up in proportion. I'm finding myself cutting and pasting back into illustrator to scale things up then copy back in, surly this cant be right? This would be a huge falt with the software if this is the case this is something i do a lot in all the adobe packages and all scale the grouped elemets in proportion. Am i not doing something? This seem ilogical to me

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Yes, really. I don't use Xd to design graphics or icons. Its vector tools are barely usable, so if I'm working with Xd I know I need to have almost everything prepared before I bring it in, most of the time.

I'm not saying it's beneficial. I'm telling you right now it doesn't work the way you want it to. I also gave you a "workaround", as inconvinient as it is. Usually, all of your strokes should be the same weight. When I scale one or multiple outline icons, I just select all of them and modify

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share screen shot of object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 19.05.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't think you can scale the weight with the object(s). I personally prefer for the stroke to not scale with the content, as when scaling icons they remain consistent, instead of getting slightly different weights. After I scale I just tune the weight to what looks good.

I agree, however, that this should be an option or we should at least be able to use some modifier key to toggle the stroke scaling.

If you are bringing stuff from Illustrator most of the time, you can outline the strokes in Ai (Object > Path > Outline Stroke), and then bring them into Xd, but you will lose the ability to modify their weight. Depends on what's more annoying 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? How is this benificial in any way? you can see how time consuming it will be for me to individally change each paths stroke weight. and its not just icons anything with a stroke behaves this way not usefull at all. Why cant we simply have a setting like illustrator that you can click on to scale strokes and effects? XD is 5 years old now this is very important. Sketch and Figma both have this feature and to me its a deal breaker, unfortnatly my current booking requires XD. This should't be something that users have to request it should be there already. Do you actualy use this software in the real world? As a proffessional I ecpect mt software to help me not hinder me having all thse work arounds is just slowing me down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right point. Agree with idea that we need this scaling feature in xd as in Ai. Please use adobexd.uservoice.com this is the best place to send us feature requests. Your contributions can help us shape the future of Adobe XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, really. I don't use Xd to design graphics or icons. Its vector tools are barely usable, so if I'm working with Xd I know I need to have almost everything prepared before I bring it in, most of the time.

I'm not saying it's beneficial. I'm telling you right now it doesn't work the way you want it to. I also gave you a "workaround", as inconvinient as it is. Usually, all of your strokes should be the same weight. When I scale one or multiple outline icons, I just select all of them and modify the stroke width. It only changes on the elements with a stroke within the group. I don't see why you have to edit each individual path.

Otherwise, if you are looking for something to complain about, there's a lot more things than just the scalable stroke width that should've been working, but don't 🙂 Here's the request for what you need: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480839--scaling-...

You can see there are a lot more like this one. We've been requesting certain features for the past 3-4 years, which are even more essential than this, but Adobe has their roadmap, and they won't change it based on our opinions, most of the time. 

And lastly - yes, I'm using it in the "real" world, when I have to. When it doesn't meet my needs, I use other packages, some of which you mentioned. You seem to be "stuck" with Xd for the time being, so it's a better idea to adapt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines