• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text border is rendered in front of fill

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I set a border for text, it is being drawn in front of fill. I want to be able to make the border render under the fill, so that it does not obstruct the fill. I am also unable to switch how border renders (out, middle, in).

This was present in ~v41 and is still present in v54.1. I am stunned that it has not been discovered yet...

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much text do you need this on? You can do a few different things - have a duplicate text layer below this one, which has the border, so it renders behind. You can also outline the text (Convert to path Ctrl + B), in which case you can tell it whether to render on the outside, inside or center.

As far as I know, in Illustrator for example you also can't change where the stroke / border is rendered on text layers - it can only be centered on the character outline. I think you can do it in Figma, but it glitches on some letters and the result doesn't look great, so it's not just an Xd limitation - it has something to do with how fonts are dynamically rendered. Once you turn them into static vector paths, then there's no problem changing the way the border renders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use it very often, especially when using text over colorful background. For now I am using the duplicated layer technique, but it is really cumbersome when I need to change text, duplicate it, or use it in multiple text boxes.

Curving the text is also out of the question because in prototyping phase the text changes way too often.

Fonts are essentially vectors, so why is this a limitation? Also, is it possible to force the stroke to be rendered behind fill by default? I am pretty sure this would be a wanted behaviour by majority of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines