• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Text]-Changing name in character style doesn't show in the panel in XD.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get to name character styles. I can chose rename and write, but it returns to the font specifications. It is the same whether I'm in list or grid mode

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Design , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Well, I think I sorted out part of the problem. It was originally a Sketch document, the same issue happend with all the converted documents, but when starting a new project from scratch I managed to change the name in list mode. I have the OC Catalina 10.15.2 at the moment and updated XD. Uninstalled and reinstalled it yesterday. Problem solved for me this time, but it would be good to be able to work directly with my old Sketch files.

Thank's for your time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please describe your workflow step-by step. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I mark some text, i.e body text, click the plus sign for character styles.

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 12.57.54.png

Then i either wright directly in the box or right-click and chose rename

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 12.58.04.png

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 12.57.48.png

Regardless of view it is just goes back to this 🙂

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 14.47.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karine,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the screenshot asked by Ares. I am unable to reproduce the similar behavior at my end. I am able to change the name by double click and it remains same once I rename the character style.

Would you mind trying sharing the OS and XD version of your machine? Is it happening with all the files or with a specific file? Have you tried checking the latest update to your grpahic card drivers?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think I sorted out part of the problem. It was originally a Sketch document, the same issue happend with all the converted documents, but when starting a new project from scratch I managed to change the name in list mode. I have the OC Catalina 10.15.2 at the moment and updated XD. Uninstalled and reinstalled it yesterday. Problem solved for me this time, but it would be good to be able to work directly with my old Sketch files.

Thank's for your time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WAIT ! I didn't trust this one.

I ran into a similar effect (the Style name not becoming editable), and didn't pay much attention to it. But because of your question, I've digged in a bit deeper and noticed an intermittent pattern.

On Mac (version 27.2.12.4), when I created a brand new file and hadn't saved it yet, the Style name was not editable. I couldn't even get into the editable state – the name simply refused to show up as a selected text. On tapping, it just gets an outline, and on the next tap it goes back to a normal text again. I reproduced this effect on two occasions. After that it didn't occur anymore. I tested whether quitting and re-opening XD would trigger the glitch again, but it didn't...

Hope this helps to find a diagnose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details Peter, we'll keep eye on this one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have read this thread several times and still can't figure out why I cannot rename my character styles. I am presently working with a file created in XD, I am positive that in past versions I could double-click on a saved character style name and change it to something more relevant. No matter what, I cannot activate the rename feature. Double-clicking does not work, Rename is not an option when I right+click. There WAS a feature that allowed me to change the name in the past... that I know. Was it removed? I am using version 34.1.12.9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 

Same here. I thought I was going mad.

Looks like a regression from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going made too. I think you can only now double-click to rename styles and components if they are in the List view, not the default Grid View. That solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me. However I wasn't able to double click the character style, but I was able to right click to rename under the list view, whereas the option wasn't available under grid view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate!
You are more useful than Adobe support, this solved my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I think ANYONE is more useful than Adobe Support. I can't remember when was the last time I found the actual answer to any problem from them, for any of Adobe's progrms. It seems that they respond to questions from the scripts they have been given rather then their knowledge of programs. I would be suprised if anyone answering these questions uses AdobeXD for the actual projects. Heck, I would be surprised that even people in charge of product development actually used AdobeXD as they seem to be working to tick the "feature boxes" rather than making the product that's useful in the actual design practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Adobe support is really bad. If I attempt to get support outside this forum it takes up to a week for a response and it is rarely helpful. Thank gosh we have each other!

Jennifer Smith
[agi_square_logo_png]
UXQB Certified Professional for Usability and User Experience
Adobe Certified Instructor
Sketch Ambassador Boston
American Graphics Institute
www.agitraining.com| jsmith@agitraining.com781-376-6044781-376-6044> | direct: 781-404-4079781-404-4079>781-404-4079>781-376-6044>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was going bonkers! I switched to list view and Viola! I am glad I found your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! It works in List view. Thank you! That will help me for now. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, you can rename styles, swatches, components, in list view but only a couple before it all goes back to the default and disregarding any custom names you put on those styles/components. This needs to be fixed asap if you want people to take XD seriously and not switch to sketch. Could you imagine if you couldn't name layers in Photoshop...lol this is comparable but probably even more devastating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with oneday, most of my designs are 90% text, Adobe needs to make text features a priority, and spend less time on features like 3D transform. Get a strong foundation before going into additional features that will be used less often.

• Allow character styles to be named without errors,
  • Allow character styles to work like true character styles...only apply to selected text, not the entire container.
  • Fix text highlight and selection errors. Text selections disappear when crossing over the properties panel.
  • Allow for tabs (are there tabs? I can't find any)

OK, I am done venting. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines