Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Text]-Missing Fonts Adobe XD28.2.12 on Windows 10 64 bit

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

I read a lot about this topic on the Forums here but nothing gives a fix. I'm new to Adobe XD but senior on apps like Illustrator, Indesign, and Photoshop. 

I'm using Extensis Suitcase as well as Adobe Typekit. I tried to load/re-load every app/font. Repair my Suitcase app several times but the problem of Adobe XD not loading the activated fonts is still persisting. When I started using Adobe XD for the first time on the same project, nothing was wrong, but after reopening it the next day to pick the project up again the problems started coming. I'm now at the point of not wishing to have started with Adobe XD but just Photoshop because I'm now throwing away lots of hours trying to fix it and not getting payed. Same goes for Google fonts which none of them will load while they are loaded via Suitcase.

Please help

STUDIO-RELOU - Unlocking brands for ambitious companies.
TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Thank you Peter for sharing a Mac file with me including the selected and described fonts from the Adobe CC font library. Without making any changes to the document (I literally just opened it and no additional deactivating and activating fonts) Adobe XD signaled some warnings for missing fonts. But as soon the document was fully loaded, all the fonts loaded-in and started working. Somehow the Mac file was "the fix" (at least for now) that linked/rooted/pointed the fonts in the right way/directi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the Adobe XD community!

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble using Adobe Fonts in XD. We would like to know a few more details in order to investigate about the issue-

• Have you have tried signing out of XD and Creative Cloud app and sign back in?
  • Did you tried deactivating and reactivating the font from the Creative Cloud desktop app?
  • Is it possible for you to share the screenshot of the about XD info page and Creative cloud version page?
  • Are you able to see the Adobe Fonts in other Adobe apps like Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your warm welcome and coming back to me this quick Harshika. Most appreciated!

To answer your questions:

• Yes
  • Yes, both. In my Extensis Suitcase app and Adobe typekit as well. Google fonts don't even load.
  • The insert photo button on this reply post doesn't work... But I have a screenshot for you. Where can I send it?
  • No problems in the other apps from the Adobe CC. I can use everything over there to my heart's content 8)

Thanks once again!

Kind regards,

Jaap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font management in Adobe XD beyond the Adobe CC fonts and the system and user based fonts, is fragile...

The best you can do is not to expect Adobe XD to play nice with any font management tool like SuitCase or FontExplorer, and don't expect Google's font kits to work in any way with Adobe XD. Fortunately, most of the popular Google fonts are also available in Adobe CC's font repository, and those who are still excluded (like the Lobster) can be downloaded and installed into your system or user account.

There are many technical and legal issues involved in this area, and I don't expect much improvement towards using and embedding custom fonts.

Did you also read these related topics ? Not that they'll solve anything, but might give you some backgrounds on the issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/request-allow-adobe-xd-to-access-adobe-common-files-font-fol...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/text-missing-fonts-at-clients-end-and-unable-to-do-offline-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I hope you don't mean this really. There are plenty of situations where you cannot use Adobe Fonts. I don't want to describe them because I trust there are smart people here, but the key thing is Adobe XD must give in and support custom installed fonts and font managers. We use XD to create stuff, not to fight its limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dead serious about my assertion that (custom) fonts will remain a troublesome area, for any tool and medium. In my own career in print and digital media of more than three decades, as well as historically for many centuries, I've seen countless wild and creative ideas and brilliant technical formats become extinct, due to insolvable liabilities and legal prohibitions regarding the applying, distributing, and displaying of fonts

And from that, various other problems rise:

• the inability to create pixel-perfect designs (especially layout) when text is involved,
  • previewing designs while not yet having or wanting to deal with proper font licensing,
  • not being able to predict how file viewers and web browsers will eventually render texts,
  • letting users paste and copy content in a visual format, without losing textual aspects.

CD-i, Apple Media Tool, Flash, Adobe DPS, ePub FXL, Muse, OAM – they all suffered from trouble with fonts. The only file format which can technically and legally correctly embed and display fonts, is PDF, so print media has been covered. New media like the web (HTML) and apps still have and will have ongoing issues with fonts. And this trickles through as limitations in design tools like Sketch, Adobe XD, and many others. And there's another aspect: for good functionality, users want text to retain it's fluidity (responsiveness), in order to be avble to adapt its size and copy/paste content. So as designers, we actually shouldn't strive for 100% reliable visual mockups...

The only solution would be if all systems, tools, and media would embrace Open Fonts, and be able to hook up to global repositories of these fonts. But there are two problems to overcome:

1. We don't trust parties like Google (nor Apple, nor Adobe or Microsoft) to become the ultimate Open Font platform, and these parties also don't trust each other very well. (Maybe the W3C should intervene ?)
  2. The overall quality of most Open Fonts is still not up to par with many conventional (commercial) fonts. And I don't mean that aestehically, but the technical richness and completeness of a font (glyphs, spacing, etc.)

If we want to create and work together and mire reliable with fonts in this digital area, we definitely need more time, understanding, and joint efforts. Only then, smart designers, developers, testers, users, and our clients can reliably work with all kinds of tools and platforms. But I personally think establishing world peace might be easier. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, 

First of all, thank you for your in-depth response. Kindly appreciated 😀

I took notice of your shared links. I'm aware of the legal issues that are involved and surrounded by fonts and their management tools. As I described in my opening post of this thread, I have the same issues with Adobe Typekit fonts (which you describe as Adobe CC's fonts) which you give as a solution to this specific matter.

So I can agree with you that SuiteCase, FontExplorer, Google Fonts, and every other Font managing application have some legal issues and therefore issues displaying fonts correctly within the current version of Adobe XD. But the solution of (just) using Adobe Typekit / Adobe CC font only, isn't a fix. I'm having the same problems with those fonts while working in the document. 

To be clear, I'm not talking about clients revisiting my work for feedback not properly displaying the chosen fonts by me because of legal issues. Because they have to own and install the chosen fonts to correctly display them. It's me trying to work with Adobe Typekit / Adobe CC fonts within Adobe XD and Adobe XD not recognizing there own activate fonts within their own suite which I paid to use every month. The ones that are licensed, activated and legally correct/approved. This sounds and looks like a bug that needs a fix and why I started this thread. 8)

Thanks once again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi J Relou, Peter,

firstly I want to second your opinion and the associated issue. Not supporting even Adobe CC's own fonts is not acceptable.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in my first response to this thread but coming from Illustrator/Photoshop I find it incompetent that XD team cannot implement font support in a industry-standard way. I mean, don't the teams know of each other? Legal issues aside (let's lawyers deal with that), I want to use font I own when I need them as long as they exist in the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid we'll always have to wait for corporate lawyers and negociaters to obtain and extend as many font licenses as possible with e.g. web access. But that's up to the designers and distributors of fonts – not us, the users.

For example: a famous desktop font like Impact (licensed from Monotype to many of us for desktop use by the courtesy of Microsoft) isn't available as an Adobe CC font. However, the very similar Anton is available as Open Font on Google and Adobe fonts. However, another famous Open Font like Lobster is distributed by Google, but surprisingly enough not by Adobe fonts although its license is wtill on Adobe's website: https://fonts.adobe.com/variations/6132/eula
(Lobster is an Open Font but its corporate re-distribution might have come under dispute...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that you (both) understand the Dungeons & Dragons (and Deals) of font licensing... 😉

And as explained, it should be obvious and without any problem that the Adobe CC Fonts (formerly known as TypeKit) should work in Adobe XD, just like they do in other Adobe applications. And they do ! At least, I don't have a ny problems –yet– with activating and using Adobe CC fonts in my projects. So if there's anything not working, it must be something specific going wrong with your project and/or configuration.

Could you give examples of fonts which are giving you a headache ?

Did you try removing the fonts from your former kits, and re-adding them to web projects ?

Adobe CC Font submissions have gradually evolved from TypeKit contracts to the current Adobe CC ecosphere (i.e. they started very separated with contracts licensing either desktop and/or online versions of the font). It took a while to get all foundries to comply with the uniform method of supplying fonts. Currently, there are only restrictions for e.g. educational or corporate Adobe CC subscriptions, having acces to a subset of the Adobe CC Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the latest update fixed the issue for me using Adobe CC fonts in XD. This is Adobe XD 28.4.12. So, for now, the problem luckily is fixed 8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhhh to soon, just opened another document were the same activate fonts didn't work... TitlingGothicFB. Already tried to deactivate, re-install, re-start everything... Strange because the same font is working in my new document without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're closing in on the trouble !

For the sake of testing, try Copy/Pasting such text elements from and to a document that doesn't work to one that does, and see what happens. Maybe you can detect a more detailed pattern in the misbehavior. This can lead to a proper diagnose and –hopefully– to a solution and a bug fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked a bit closer, but I see that I removed the typeface TitlingGothicFB in my current document just to get rid of the problem. In the old document, which I was referring to in my post above on the 7th of April. The problem with typeface TitlingGothicFB persists in this document. Deactivated and re-activated the font in Adobe CC. Deactivated and re-activated the font in my font managing tool. I signed out and into my Adobe CC account again. But nothing helped to fix the issue.

Still strange since the other apps in the CC offering don't have have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recap, to be sure about some aspects after these recent posts...

So any Adobe CC font in an older and newer document refuses to be activated, or specific ones (like that TitlingGothicFB), or irregular ones ? Did you also test other Adobe CC fonts with old and newly created documents ?

We have to change some factor to detect a different result, in order to close in on the culprit, establish a diagnose, and (hopefully) come up with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to make a new document with the "corrupted" but activated and working fonts in other Adobe apps than Adobe XD without any success, unfortunately. Not every Adobe CC font has the problem, most of the activated Adobe CC fonts are working, but I noticed that within the Adobe XD text tool that the fonts that don't work (but are active) are not listed in the dropdown menu.

Three quick examples of fonts that are activated but don't work within Adobe XD, but do in either Adobe apps:

• TitlingGothicFB
  • Aktiv Grotesk - strange thing here is I got 3 typefaces activated from this family but only one is working in Adobe XD. Aktiv Grotesk Ex Bold is working, Regular and Ex regular aren't working.
  • Alternate Gothic no1 D regular

All tested in a new document. But the strangest thing still is that some time ago they did work, this is why I selected them in the first place 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for working with us on the fonts issues you are facing. I have activated all 3 fonts at my end on windows machine on a new document and they all are visible to me and are working perfectly fine. Could you please confirm if you have tried deactivating and reactivating the Adobe Fonts? Is it possible for you to share the screenshot of your about XD info page and Creative Cloud version you are using in your machine?

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Harshiki,

Thanks for you reply. For the sake of testing, i'm doing as you ask since you cleary didn't read the rest of the forum 😉 So I deactivate and reactivated the fonts for the, I guess, 12th time. 

After doing this I created a new document. Strange thing is, its soooo inconsistent...

• TitlingGothicFB - is now working (last couple of times it didn't work at all) but now only a couple of typefaces within the family work. Activated are Bold, Standard, Regular and Thin. The only ones working right now in the new document: Regular and Thin.
  • Aktiv Grotesk - Before the new test 2 out of the 3 activated typefaces within the family were working... NOW the font doesn't even show anymore in the text module of Adobe XD within Adobe XD.
  • Alternate Gothic still isn't showing in the text module of Adobe XD within Adobe XD.

Again, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface because I just tested the first few fonts within the activated list from the selected Adobe CC fonts. Also because of the fact that within these 3 font families the outcome on different machines is way different from each other. You don't experience any problems. Within the last two tests I experienced problems both times differently within the same problem.

Before the test I installed the latest update from Adobe XD version 28.5.12.5

Annotation 2020-04-13 121323.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so we're closing in on the problem with a definitely repeatable pattern ! Another test to get more insight in the conditions of this issue, would be to create a new document WITH those fonts on a Mac, and see what happens when you open that doc on Windows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great Peter! Unfortunately I dont own a Mac.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you supply me with your Adobe ID related email in a private message, I can share this Mac file with you.

This is the preview: https://xd.adobe.com/view/205d485f-9b79-4337-7b4f-e78a6c9bafab-566c/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe ID is:<Removed by moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter for sharing a Mac file with me including the selected and described fonts from the Adobe CC font library. Without making any changes to the document (I literally just opened it and no additional deactivating and activating fonts) Adobe XD signaled some warnings for missing fonts. But as soon the document was fully loaded, all the fonts loaded-in and started working. Somehow the Mac file was "the fix" (at least for now) that linked/rooted/pointed the fonts in the right way/direction. After closing down the Mac file I started a new document myself including the selected fonts. All the selected fonts are now visible/selectable and useable.

Let's be clear, I only tested the fonts from the Adobe CC library that are the topic of this threat. In total, I have 100 activated Adobe CC typefaces, so I feel we are just scratching the surface on this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: In september 2020 I bought a brand new notebook (windows device DELL xps15) for my business. About two months ago (July 2021) I needed to design a webpage for a client which let me back to go using Adobe XD. Here I was hoping that Adobe got a few more patches and bug fixes in, but..... Took me only a couple of minutes to fully uninstall adobe XD again for a while. After the uninstall I bought Figma directly.

This is a full new machine with a fresh install on everything, Windows and adobe CC, and yet the CC libraries, fonts are both still not working and the issues persists.... Even after following a couple of guidelines, uninstalls and running repairs on CC libraries - Adobe CC didn't fix the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines