• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The components system is just a mess and that's really suck!

Explorer ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry in advance to be harsh, but I'm tired of trying to figure out why things just don't work as expected. Seriously Adobe, the XD components system doesn't work and, more important, is full of bugs.

Please check out the attached as one of the many examples of things which don't work with the component system. This file contains 2 artboards:

• On the left: an Android screen which is the master component
  • On the right: a screen which uses the Android master component

Check out this right artboard, right click its Android slave component and select "Reset to master". Something suddently appears which is not in the master component.

I spend countless hours on such problems in the component system. This is really a mess and almost unusable in the professionnal environment. Sorry Adobe.

Funny bug: this site refuses to attach a xd file. What a symbol! This file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lei39174i9xxk9r/this-is-bad.xd?dl=0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in response and thank you for sharing the file. I have downloaded the file at my end on my windows machine. I did click on reset to master but I didn't see anything. Could you please share a video where it shows the issue after resetting to master?

I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika.

Here is a short video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogoasthn19ayq3k/this-is-bad.mov?dl=0

In short: when I reset to master state, 2 icons appears on the right, which are NOT in any state of the master component.

And this is just one single example of all the problems of the XD components system. I've many many more.

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the same problem - your master component on the artboard is not showing correctly - just delete it from an artboard and then select "edit master" from right clicking on it in the library panel. You'll see your master actually has those two icons - just remove them after these actions and they will be gone from all instances. This happens for me regularly if I keep master components on the artboard. Hope this workaround helps you (to properly work in Adobe XD you have to know all sorts of workarounds and "known issues").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. I have used Sketch, Figma, and Xd and 80% of my workflow is based on complex components; however, Xd's component system is extremely unreliable.

Example:

1 - When creating nested components, sometimes the master works ok, but all of its copy will have duplicates of components or other layers inside that component
2 - There were cases where the component and its copies were working perfectly, then a few days later they were all broken even without touching them
3 - Responsive resize literally gives me headaches. When hiding a layer, it will rescale the component as it should; however, the component bounding box will still be the same size as if the element was not hidden. What pisses me off is that if I keep hitting "hide"/"show" at times the bounding box WILL resize the way it's supposed to. Here's an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EpZC63tgbBQvijzHG4a5dQoolbMKb-2F/view?usp=sharing
You can clearly see the bounding box is not consistent (on both master and the copy) and that's a very basic component.

It also annoys me that I can't save shadows as styles. 

It can work with a basic component system, but start adding complexity and other components and you have a recipe for a nightmare.

The way it stands now, I find Xd's components unstable and unreliable, I can't have it on my library and risk having my team messing up our UI because things are not resizing as they should.
I have never had such stress when trying to figure out components in other platforms, but boy oh boy, Xd really made me rage quit several times. I'm honestly considering redesigning the whole project in another program as I can't deal with the Xd component issues anymore.

And don't even get me started on the library ><

And I'm on the latest version (34.0.12.33) as of the time of posting, with the added 3D transform. Too bad I'm hating Xd so much that the new feature though interesting doesn't even excite me as I wanna run away from Xd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man I'm so glad I found this and it's not just me, even after a year of these posts. I haven't tried to design in XD for ~7-8 months, remembering it being a nightmare. I decided to step back in and try my hand at a new photoshop plugin interface.

XD's component system is *AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE* still. If you are trying to have any kind of component state interactions beyond absolute simplest, top level designs, you are totally in for hell. I have burned so many countless hours now trying to figure out what's broken each time I make a change, so many hours watching tutorials. And omg, it's just unusable.

If you want to design a landing page or fun little animations go for it, but if you're trying to design anything serious look elsewhere. Believe me I wish I wasn't having to say this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trust me it's now 2022 and the level of rage I experience when using Xd is beyond reasonable. If the same team that was behind Muse is now working with Xd we are screwed... for God sake fix the layers, they are a nightmare! (nothing like Ai)

No wonder why Adobe is buying Figma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines