• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why do main components disappear "sometimes"?

Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be no logic as to when and why main components vanish only to be seen if recalled.

I've just been working on 2 very similar set-ups where I've made a component out of a section of a page.
In one case the main component stayed where it was made (the desired action really as otherwise it becomes a pain to edit the main component in place later on, making it fit in its context, using layout grid etc...!)

In the second case, it instantly vanished and was replaced with an instance. This behaviour is bizarre and has a lot of associated problems.

Firstly it is only by chance that I noticed that I wasn't editing the main component anymore which is a HUGE deal.

Secondly, now I'm in a situation where I need to reassemble everything so that I can edit the main component in place. 

This workflow is just WRONG by any standard, it doubles the amount of work and opens the doors to many problems down the line.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mowglivj , a while back I realized that only happens when I create a bigger component that includes a main component as an inner element (like a product card that has a button that is the main component). Otherwise they stay where they are, I tested even including main components in some groups. Some designers prefer keeping main components in a seperate  artboard, like a mini design system, I usually prefer just right clicking any component and selecting "edit the main component" option. Would like to see your updates about this actually since as I said I only experienced that "main component becomes an instance" situation when I include it in a bigger component. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, the behaviour is completely inconsistent, the same circumstances rendered 2 different results.

Having all main components in one place would definitely be a way to tidy everything up why this doesn't happen automatically is beyond me but in any case, the option to edit the main component in place is a must! How are you supposed to edit things out of context? 

The main XD competitor has this perfectly sorted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm as I said I never experienced happening randomly but only when I try to create a bigger component that includes a main component. Let's see if any other expert/user has anything to share and would like to see any findings from you or any other designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines