Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XD: Export to After Effects not workig or disabled

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

So I was trying to use the Adobe XD feature that exports an object directly to After effects but it didn't work for me (IDK why). It(XD) shows a completion bar but nothing really happens in after effects and it disables the option after that.

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

Using Adobe XD Latest version and After effects 2019.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to update this most viewed conversation in order to provide the latest information on the workflow.

Here’s how it works:
1. In XD, select the layers or artboards you want to animate in After Effects.
2. Go to File> Export > After Effects. If After Effects is not installed on your machine, this option is greyed out. You can also use the ⌥⌘F (Mac), or Ctrl+Alt+F (Windows) keyboard shortcuts.
3. The selected layers or artboards are added as native shap

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Had the same problem, try this:

1. Close After Effects, if it is open (XD will auto-launch it).

2. in XD, Select all the elements you want to export and make sure to tick "Mark For Export" in their Properties.

3. Open Layers Panel (bottom left) and go to Artboards, select all Artboards you want to export.

4. Go File/Export/After Effects

5. Wait a bit and After Effects will auto-launch and create the compositions needed. Text will be editable.

Hope this helps, greetings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to know without any details about the actual project. Quite likely the way you create your assets and interactionss does not generate distinct layers and will require more work.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium​ It doesn't even work for a simple square shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back to the previous XD release seems to solve the issue for the time being. Hopefully Adobe can fix in the next XD release...and maybe take a look at the massive color shift (that is NOT due to color profiles) from XD to AE as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Older version XD works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABSOLUTELY HELPFUL ! I need to revert back from version 18.0.12 to 17.0.12 to make import works ! What a bummer ! Please fix this Adobe ! Love all your products ! Contantly subscribing without regret but need this to be fix ASAP !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're looking into the problem, but in the meantime, you should uninstall and reinstall XD (​after​ you install After Effects) to get it to work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. It's got nothing to do with the way assets have been created - exporting a single object (colored square) no longer opens in AE after the latest update to XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I update XD on windows the plugin file (AEXD.aex) needed to export to AE disappears. I have to unistall and reinstall XD for every new update in order to keep that function. Wish Adobe would fix this glitch once and for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just started happening to me with the latest version (18.0.12.9)

I uninstalled XD (keeping my preferences) then reinstalled it and now it works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one quick question, why I only see on the other version panel is just (18.0.12)?

I cannot find the (18.0.12.9)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's fixed. I just reinstalled XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but uninstalling and reinstalling XD is not a solution.

This is a bug

More like Adobe LOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem ,here,
after exporting from Adobe Xd  > After Effects open but notthing happens means no composition is created ,

i am using latest versions of both softwares Adobe XD 20.*** and Adobe After Effects 16.1.***

please Help me fix this

Sahil,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

We're sorry to hear you're unable to export XD into After Effects. I understand it could be annoying. Could you please confirm if you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XD?

Please let us know if that doesn't work. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I randomly tried the feature after all this time and it is working perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for letting us know. We're glad you're able to export the file. Please feel free to reach out to us in the future for any query related to Adobe XD and we'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried using this feature, with latest versions of AE and XD - and I'm having the same problem. XD throws an error. Is this still a known problem? Thanks in advance for any update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also cannot get this to work in either of the versions of XD available for download through the creative cloud.  Does anyone have a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also does not work for me. Have the most recent versions of both AE and XD. Same issue, won't export a single shape.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry for the delay in response. I am unable to reproduce the issue at my end with the windows machine. Would you mind sharing the screenshot of your About XD info page and the version of After Effects installed on your machine? Have you tried signing out of XD, restarted the machine, and then sign back in?

I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to update this most viewed conversation in order to provide the latest information on the workflow.

Here’s how it works:
1. In XD, select the layers or artboards you want to animate in After Effects.
2. Go to File> Export > After Effects. If After Effects is not installed on your machine, this option is greyed out. You can also use the ⌥⌘F (Mac), or Ctrl+Alt+F (Windows) keyboard shortcuts.
3. The selected layers or artboards are added as native shapes, texts, assets, and nested compositions in your AE project.

Here’s the list with what’s supported and not supported at this time: https://helpx.adobe.com/ro/xd/kb/open-after-effects-files-in-xd.html

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has absolutely nothing to do with the original reported issue... from 2 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have Installed aftereffects but its still greyedout in adobe xd? I am using AE Cs6 and latest version of XD can you help me to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem, try this:

1. Close After Effects, if it is open (XD will auto-launch it).

2. in XD, Select all the elements you want to export and make sure to tick "Mark For Export" in their Properties.

3. Open Layers Panel (bottom left) and go to Artboards, select all Artboards you want to export.

4. Go File/Export/After Effects

5. Wait a bit and After Effects will auto-launch and create the compositions needed. Text will be editable.

Hope this helps, greetings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines