• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XD randomly crashes while trying to preview (WIN10)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
I see a lot of XD crash post here, but none of them are exatctly the same as mine, so I'm just gonna open a new topic. I'm tired to find out why it crashes, and sending crash reports after crash reports (sometimes with not the best manner, apologies about that). It's not a new thing for me, this problem stayed with me at least in the last 3 months.

THE PROBLEM:
My Adobe XD randomly crashes when I click on 'Desktop Preview'. Randomly, because sometimes it works just fine and sometimes it does not. I don't do anything except after every crash I reopen XD and the same project file. It doesn't matter if it's a cloud or a local document. I instatly know when it will crash or work - if the pop-up desktop preview window is fully black then it is going to crash in a few seconds. Sometimes the first few desktop preview works like a charm then one more crashes it.

Tried to reset PC, reinstall XD, reinstall CC, disconnect second screen, close every other application.

System:
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E
CPU: i7 10700K
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070
RAM: Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16 (2x16 GB)
Using 2 screen
os on a samsung 2,5 ssd and CC on a different one which is a M.2 samsung ssd.

Thanks for looking into it! Would be nice to work without nerve-racking interruptions.

Have a nice day,
Andras

TOPICS
Crash on windows , Known Issue , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andras,

We understand how frustrating it could be and thanks for creating a new post to give it a fresh start. We would need few more details in order to escalate the issue to the team for investigation.

1. Is there any anti-virus that is causing the issue? If any, try disabling the antivirus and see if that helps.
  2. Is it possible to capture a short video of the workflow as if you can recreate a crash when you click on the desktop preview?
  3. Please generate the logs using the Log Collector Tool and Crash Dumps along with the XD file and upload them to a shared location such as Creative Cloud or Dropbox and share the URL with me.
  4. A screenshot of your about XD info page will be helpful. 

I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

I tried to turn of my ESET Internet Security but the crash still happened.

So I went to the next point and captured a short video. For this I created a crash_test_file (new file to check if crash happens in a very simple file as well.) It did crash. So tried out a few different method of Desktop Preview in two different files. I managed to get a working desktop preview and then didn't do anything just closed and reopened it, and then it crashed again. I'll send this with the files you asked in a private mail.

But in the meantime I'll post a shorter video here with less private info on screen to share with fellow XD users to see my concrete crashes:
LINK: https://www.loom.com/share/a8ffd6273abe4afb8f1e314292100d2a
In this video you can see at 2:00 that Desktop Preview is working and then I start and stop it a few times until it crashes again.

Thanks,
Andras

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Andras for the video and other additional details. I have logged a bug for your issue so that our team can investigate the issue.

I will share the updates with you as soon as I hear back from the team.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I encounter exactly the same issue. Are you working on a 4k monitor? 
My guess is that this has something to do with it because when my win10 just uses 1 FullHD Monitor, everything is okay.

As soon as I use my 2nd screen (Dell, 4k), it crashes randomly.

(RTX2060 Super)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you are right! The same here, 2 screens 1 FHD and one 4K (both of them are Dell).

I checked if I disconnect the 4K screen everything work just fine, without crash after 20+ open/preview/close on different XD files. But as soon as I reconnect the 4K my very first preview attempt crashes.

So yeah I guess it's a good starting point to resolve the problem.

Thanks for writing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to connect both screens but work with XD on your FHD only and click preview. Does it work?
For me it seems to work - by the way: after latest update my preview still keeps being black screen but I manage to close it before XD crashs. 

@HARSHIKA_VERMA maybe this helps to find the solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me if the 4K screen is connected, it does not matter which screen I'm working on, it will crash almost every time (9.5 out of 10).

But definitely the problem is with the 4K monitor. If I only use 4K XD always crashes, if I use one 4K and one FHD it crashes most of the times and if only the FHD is connected preview works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's interesting. Have you tried using different scaling settings? At the moment I use 175% scaling.
I haven't experimented with it yet, but there are various settings to artificially adjust the UI of programs to the 4k resolution.

Maybe it's related to that and XD might have a problem with the GUI-renderer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Just did some experiments with different scaling options. By default I use 175% as I like the big icons and because I´m an old man. 😉

Scale @175%: XD crashed nearly every time / black screened at least

Scale @150%: stable

Scale @100%: stable (a part from an unreadable small interface)

@F.Andras can you confirm this?

Come on, Adobe. Now I pinned it down for you, just solve this problem.

@HARSHIKA_VERMA : please read, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here, I use it at 175% all the time. 🙂

I experimented with scaling before but still crashed randomly but did not record the result, but today I did a new experiment.

Started with disconnecting the FHD screen, then set the 4K to
- 100% - looked stable
- 125% - it worked, could not achive crash (but maybe I was just lucky).

- 150% - even this scale XD didn't crashed now

- 175% - first it worked*

Second phase of the experiment - connected FHD screen back then started to scale up 4K
- 100% / 125% / 150% - looked stable
- 175% - crashed instantly

*Third phase - disconnected FHD again, set 4K to 175% at this time XD crashed, then set back to 150% and preview worked, then set to 175% again and this time preview worked.

So there are still some "randomness" in it. 😕 But I think you are on the right path, good thinking!

Hope Adobe is doing something in the background and see theese experiments. @HARSHIKA_VERMA 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines