Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XD : Unable to add components to library as a graphic

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm unable to add a component to a CC library as a compoment, only as a graphic. At this video, it's clearly possible to add a compoment and not a graphic: https://youtu.be/GWuA1y79AT8?t=87

Whenever I try to add a component, all I can add is a graphic as per screenshot belowZrzut ekranu 2021-01-20 o 16.47.14.png

I can add any other type asset: Fill Color, Character style or graphic, when I select non-component object (see below). So why not a component? 

Zrzut ekranu 2021-01-20 o 16.51.38.png

{Title renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Hi Rade,

Thank you for reaching out. Components cannot be added from any XD document to a Creative Cloud Library, they must be part of the source document published to a library. Once an Adobe XD file is shared as a library, the source file can be edited and components can be added and edited as is done in any Adobe XD document. For more details, please see this article: https://letsxd.com/guides/creative-cloud-libraries

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rade,

Thank you for reaching out. Components cannot be added from any XD document to a Creative Cloud Library, they must be part of the source document published to a library. Once an Adobe XD file is shared as a library, the source file can be edited and components can be added and edited as is done in any Adobe XD document. For more details, please see this article: https://letsxd.com/guides/creative-cloud-libraries

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say i find this behaviour, basically the whole behaviour around shared libraries highly confusing in Adobe XD. There are use-cases completely not covered imho. Usually is start developing the first designs and styles, components etc. in a single file. This allows me to experiment without committing to everything 100%. Changes are quickly done, no need to jump back and forth between library and design doc. Then, when the whole system gets more mature and stable, i want to transfer the local styles and components to a shared library, but keep the design artboards. Ideally all component instances and formerly local styles are linked to the new shared library (semi-)automatically.

I don't see how this works in XD, which makes to whole process of building a design system iteratively incredibly cumbersome. Maybe i'm not using the preferred workflow, but then documentation is lacking, as i could not find any of the above mentioned restrictions in the docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't undertand the logic behind this workflow at all. I have rough document, and I want to save individual assets from it to a shared library, not the whole document. Publishing the whole document would be counterproductive, since our shared library is already filled with rough sketches. I want one library where approved assets live, not filled up everyone's ideas. If one asset approved then should be go in the shared library, not the whole document.

Does anyone have any tips or workarounds for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best tip I can give you about XD:

> Stop expecting it to work efficiently

XD seems to be designed for quick and dirty projects like website redesigns by agencies with no intention of managing the project through it's lifecycle. It's just not for long-term, complex software design and visual prototyping.

The whole shared XD components thing is a perfect example. It's a productivity disaster and requires use of Adobe's proprietary cloud. I have yet to meet a fan of that product.

I can't use Adobe's cloud docs for any of my projects. It's just not how most teams handle file storage and versioning. For those projects where I'm forced to use XD (thanks to other designer's trying to get the most out of their CC subscription), my solution is anything but perfect:

1. Designate a source doc for each area of the design system (I'll often work on product families with nuances from one to the next).
  2. Paste your finalized tokens, elements, and components into that source doc.
  3. Everything should be either built in that document using those resources or copied out of that doc into the working doc.
  4. When there's a design system update, the team needs to check their working docs against the source docs and make sure everything aligns.
  5. Don't forget all those component child states that won't inherit parent changes!

And there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Welcome to the Adobe Experience!

Sidenote: In case you haven't tried them, there are plenty of great options out there. I like Sketch. I know some who are doing great with Figma. There are even a few fans of InVision Studio out there. Honestly, other than some cool sparkly features in XD, they're all an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ggg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. Are you experiencing this similar issue? If yes, can you confirm the version of XD & OS along with a small video of the issue. We'll try our best to assist you.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines