• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XD : Unable to Update Library through update button in XD

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to update my library using the UPDATE action in XD. The update button is there - as well as the banner, but when I click "UPDATE"  nothing is happening. I am unable to figure out what is the cause - file size, server issue? Any suggestions?

katieh041487_0-1606328699883.png

{Title renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Product performance , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely not expected. Is it possible for you to share a short video of your workflow so that we can escalate the issue to the team for further investigation? Please share the operating system you are working on.

We'll try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harshika,

Thank you for the rapid response.

Machine Specifications

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎4/‎2/‎2021
OS build 19042.1052
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

Device name DellG5-2021
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID A7BE9AA3-91A3-4F0B-A1E8-318A404ADE4D
Product ID 00330-51655-90983-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Video

You can find a vidcap here: Recursive Library Update - YouTube

This video shows 2 separate libraries that exhibit this recursion.

Hypothesis:

One of these libraries, "C_Portal Components" (second in the video) contains components where the parent main component is in C_Portal Components, but one or more nested (child) components are from from the "C_Icons" library (first in the video).

Several of these child components from C_Icons are, themselves, nested.

I believe that my issue comes from some manner of cross-linking between the 2 libraries.

Example:

C_Portal Components will contain a main component that includes several icon buttons from the C_Icons library.

These icon buttons are made up of a background components which maintains a default state and a hover state.

This allows us to have a single component govern the hover state of several button components. 

We're noticing that this backgound component will often cause a secondary "Update" cycle when changes are made to one of the button components in C_Icons. 

Example:

1. 5 buttons are modified in C_Icons.
  2. Changes are published for C_Icons Library
  3. C_Portal Components is opened and indicates that there are 5 updates available for the document assets.
  4. Reviewing the document assets reveals the 5 buttons have the blue 'update linked asset" icon.
  5. Clicking "Update" runs successfully but is immediately followed by a return of the "Update" button for a single document asset.
  6. Reviewing the document assets reveals that the background component used in the buttons that were previously updated not has an update.

This is incorrect. The background component has not been changed in several months. However, it continues to show up in the list as updated after other components that actually have been changed are updated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed information and for sharing the video. Is it possible for you to share the XD file as well so that I can go ahead and log a bug for the issue? If yes, please upload the file to a shared location and share the URL with me over a PM.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact problem too. I used tons of hours setting up our design system in the library-setup, cause the copy/paste of components was not alowed anymore. Use hours converting our setup, with this "library-way". Been using it for 2 weeks, and now this all falls apart. Our setup is Atomic-Design based, and now my atom-dokument can't "share" it's features....makes it completly useless, and the hours i used converting the setup!  😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me guess... you filed a bug ticket and nothing was ever done to address it. I'm having this same issue 2 years later and its still not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a joke adobe, and it been hapening to me for the past 2 months without a fix, I had to move my team over to Figma as a last resort. Good luck getting this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing the same issue here 😞

Version: 44.0.12.7 x64, Creative Cloud Sync 4.21.0.14

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been happening since bloody 2020! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Potential Solution - Here's what worked for me.

After receiving a few responses from Adobe (followed by dead silence), I took matters into my own hands.

As referenced in my earlier responses in this thread (under the name Cubelodyte), I posited that the issue was related to recursion between 2 or more libraries. 

Here was the setup - 

We had 2 libraries: Icons and Major Components.

Many of the major components in the MC library were built with nested icon components from the Icons library. 

Solution: Combine the 2 libraries into one so that no library contains any reference to components in another library.

Other Potential Contributing Factors - Nested Components Shared Between Non-library Project Files

I had been building nested components for years before they became officially supported as "a thing" in XD. I called them compound components (or compound symbols -- that's how long I've been using them). This means that many components that ultimately became library components were being shared from file to file in the Cloud without the governance of the Cloud Library architecture. In fact, many of them were shared between local files before the Cloud rolled in and put a fog over nearly everything I had created over my first 2 years of using XD.

Somewhere around the introduction of  Libraries and the new feature "Nested Components" was the point at which many of my components became delinquent and started causing all manner of disruption in the files that shared them (broken links, components that are no longer used in a document but cannot be deleted or made local, etc.). 

Hypothesis:

Premise - Sharing components between XD project files has never worked completely.

There has always been a function for re-linking broken component links and it has never worked. The introduction of the Cloud and Libraries has probably fixed all of this (As of this week, XD officially prevents any sharing of components except via libraries). I suspect that anyone who begins creating new design systems and new libraries using XD and Adobe Cloud will have no issues. It is only those of us who are carrying forward legacy design project collections that experience the growing pains of system improvements that are not truly backward compatible. 

Therefore - These issues will not present themselves in a fresh, clean design system based on the lastest XD release.

Since I was not willing to toss aside 4 years worth of design work, I tested this hypothesis by bringing all the components of our Icons library into the Main Components library. I used the "Make Local" function to create component instances inside the MC library and then eliminated the Icons library altogether. Since doing so, I have had no further issues with the infinite update.

Note 1:

The solution outlined above is not for the faint of heart. Any project file included direct references to icons in the Icons library had to be manually updated to use icons from the the MC Library. This meant first finding all the broken link components, making them local, and then replacing them with their counterparts in the MC library by dragging from the Assets panel onto the existing instances in the document. 

This process is very time-consuming. For most applications, this would only be necessary if the legacy document is current enough to need updating any time the official component is modified. 

Note 2:

Although the libraries had been in a perpetual state of "you need to update", they were, in fact updating successfully enough that changes were propogating to the project files that used them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask how did you find if a component in a nested component was from this document or broken? Is there a user-friendly way to find that out?

I have so many components, it's going to be difficult to find those...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We too have an enormous number of components.

Sadly, to my knowledge, there is no direct way to do this in the interface. 

The 2 best tools for tracking down origins are the Assets filter on the assets panel and viewing the icons in the layers panel. 

In the assets panel, you can click the filter icon to show only components from specific libraries or choose "local".

Cubelodyte_0-1637674417253.png

In the Layer panel, the components will have a "link" icon if they came from another library and a "diamond" icon if the came from local.

Cubelodyte_1-1637674620197.png

Beyond that, it was a highly manual process.

Sorry I don't have better news. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I have read through this issue since KatieH UX first posted. I updated XD(45.0.62.17) recently and since yesterday I am having the same issue! It boggels the brain that it has not been sorted yet.
Can someone help?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LuiTee, 

This probably isn't the kind of answer you're looking for, but my ultimate solution has been to move my UX team to Figma. After 4 years of frustration with XD, we can no longer tolerate the level of lost hours spent fixing and refixing the thing that Adobe breaks with nearly every major release. There is no doubt in my mind that nearly 50% of my design hours have been spent in devising workarounds and re-doing work to fit the latest paradigm shift.

Our hope is to be entirely Adobe-free within a year; replacing PhotoShop and Illustrator with Affinity products and XD with Figma. After 2 weeks of dabbling, I can honestly say that every thing we use XD for can be done far better and easier in Figma. There is definitely a solid learning curve as many similar functions are handled in new ways, but for our organization, it is clearly the correct path. 

I wish you and everyone here the best as you sort out the right solution for your design needs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with what LuiTee has said about how frustrating it has been using Adobe XD and the Adobe Library. If I am honest, it never worked for my team in the six months that I use the application, the Library just does not work, but the scary thing about the situation is, Adobe does not seem to have a fix for this.

I managed to speak to my manager last month, and we also decided to move are team over the Figma, this month has been a big push to move away from Adobe XD, and maybe in the future Adobe all together. 

All the best trying to deal with this issue, I hope you find a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the issue has been going on for years, and basically what I resort to doing is asking colleagues whose computer works to update the library using the same account for me.

Basically on Windows no matter if it's new library or old one, I always get the "Update" prompt, and trying to update the Library doesn't do it, it just immediately gives me back the Update prompt.

It's been going on for years, version and after version, even Windows versions after another 🤣😭 and that issue has never been solved.

I have spent many times hours calling the Adobe customer service about it, they made me do all kinds of things like creating a completely new Windows user account and all these kinds of steps, and they could never find what's wrong nor bring any fix.

So if you face the same issue, I suggest you just give up, XD is just never going to be working for you... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

I don't have nested libraries. Just one library and when I try to update any of the components nothing happens. The changes are saved, but the files that use the library do not update them.

In addition, the notification that I need to update the library does not go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faced this issue today.

Here is my solutiuon:

• Browse library file versions history and find a stable one (with updates possible)
  • Open that file and publish it as a library
  • You will be asked to replace all components from your currently published library
  • Agree and then update linked components from library in working files

Thanks God this proccess is automatical.

I still have a blue notification at the bottom after every update. Looks like that happened earlier.

For Adobe, maybe this will be helpfull:

Before that happened, I tried to update quite an old component in my current library. Since that version of XD where hover states were introduced.

You should consider investigation since with an atomic design approach and the number of components – this will become a nightmare. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue. It has completely broken my workflow and now I am unable to continue building our atomic design system and have to just copy and paste components. So dissapointing that this issue has not been addressed in over two years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the same issue I had. I tried updating a CC library from Adobe XD and could not. What worked for me was uninstalling all Adobe programs and Adobe Cloud program using cc cleaner tool.

Then reinstalling Adobe Clound and installing Adobe XD again. I think the cc cleaner tool does a lot so if you use it use it at your own risk. It removes all adobe files I think so if you have work you want saved I would make sure it is backed up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue 2.5 years later. Its sad to see Adobe prioritizes its bug fixes so low that they are never addressed and a sub-par products continues to be sub-par. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines