• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Absolutely different font rendering on Mac and Windows!

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with developer on same file with same font (Gotham Pro, OTF format) on macOS and Windows. Showing font is completely wrong on Windows. It make XD useless!
XD is latest version on booth machines.Win Font 2.pngMac Font 2.pngMac Font.pngWin Font.png

TOPICS
Data loss , Design , Prototyping , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Fonts are ALWAYS an issue, in ANY media industry.

It starts with technical problems, and ends with legal ones... 😉

Were you able to verify that your problems also occur with Area texts, and not with Point text ?

You can see the type of text frame in the Properties panel:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-24 om 12.50.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of testing, could you change the text to another font (preferably an Adobe font), and see if the difference is still a worrying amount ? Technically, there shouldn't be a difference, but bugs are essentially not logical, so a verification is crucial...

Who is the foundry or distributor of this Gotham Pro font ? There are many...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter!

Found another version of Gotham, now bit better. But here is still a vertical shift. Even with adobe font Fira Sans...

Gotham made by Hoefler Type Foundry, but it was in 2000. 

MAc_Win.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows/Mac web-safe fonts. 

https://www.cssfontstack.com/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, but I need Gotham 🙂 And I wish there was no such problem with XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are facing issues with fonts appearance on Mac and Windows. In addition to what Peter has asked, I would also like to know if it's working on other Adobe apps like Photoshop, InDesign for investigation purpose?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

I have tested these fonts in the Photoshop – didn't notice any problems.mac.pngwin.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole text technical treatment of Adobe XD is weak, if not flawed, in several areas and certain circumstances. Not always, but too often to be reliable. Read this topic (especially the last third of the whole discussion) about similar oddities and discrepancies in the vertical alignment among fonts. And in your case we can add among systems to the comparison. One question to ask might be: which one is correct, Mac or Windows, or are both off in their own ways ?

I'm afraid we can't do much more than shrug our shoulders, and wait for improvement.

In the meantime, I'm curious enough to see if I can pin it down to a bit more specific diagnose. Would you mind sending me the file and the font (zipped, or via WeTransfer) to my email address ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope, that Mac version of XD is right 🙂

I will send you files, but there is a mistake in mail address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I missed the .nl - corrected it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your mail, please 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending the font. 🙂

I've been able to do some tests with it.

First of all, the Gotham Regular font (at least the one I received to install) is a TrueType format, not an OpenType format. But rest assured, I did run into a problem – hurray !!

I created a file with a Point Text (click and type) and an Area Text (drag and type). The point text alignes exactly the same on Mac and Windows. But the line of characters in the Area Text (positioned precisely on top of a line) moves a few pixels up within the bounding box ! That's not right...

I tested it in the most recent XD version on both systems.

Windows

Schermopname (7).png

Mac

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-24 om 01.59.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Peter. 🙂

First of all - thank you for testing and for your interest in this issue!

So, as I wrote earlier - I replaced the OTF font with another one, which is a truetype format. That fixed the problem with the font name mess between Mac and PC. If you would like – I will also send you OTF font.

I think XD has a huge font issue.

Hey, Adobe! We have a serious problem with area text!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts are ALWAYS an issue, in ANY media industry.

It starts with technical problems, and ends with legal ones... 😉

Were you able to verify that your problems also occur with Area texts, and not with Point text ?

You can see the type of text frame in the Properties panel:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-24 om 12.50.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked - yes, problem presented only with Area text. It is infuriates because very offen I can not use point text, which adds lot of space under text baseline. It is very important when using paddings and vertical alignment.

Знімок екрана 2020-04-24 о 23.24.39.png

Point text positioning is ok, but now there is a problem with tracking...

Знімок екрана 2020-04-24 о 23.01.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font baseline problem in adobe xd for windows and mac. The problem is mirrored for files made in Windows and for files made in Mac.

Windows:

helios_win-in_project.png

helios_win.png

Mac:

helios_mac-in_project.png

helios_mac.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the suggestions shared here https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/absolutely-different-font-rendering-on-mac-and-windows/td-p/... and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for suggetion...

Read the whole topic, as such there is no solution ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry for the trouble. It looks like you're experiencing a similar issue discussed here. If so, I suggest you, please see the correct answer in the post shared. 

We'll make sure to share your feedback with the team.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a similar issue: On my PC the text is centered and on mac and the shared link is not... Everybody keeps telling me that the fonts are not centered. It took me a few days to get it, because it all looked good on my side. It really makes me look unproffesional and this need to get resolved asap! Replacing the font does not help since all companies have their particular font that you cannot replace. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines