• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe XD is crashing while editing text.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am in trouble with the latest version of xd. When I start typing with the text tool, it just crashes the app.

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Crash on windows , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Hi there,

We are sorry for the trouble. In addition to what our experts have asked and suggested, I would suggest changing focus like minimizing and maximizing the XD window that helped various customers in past.

I am also checking with the team if there is a bug logged for this issue.

I will update here as soon as I hear back from the team.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Update: I checked with the team, there is already a bug logged for the issue and they identified that it's a Microsoft issue and they are working with the team to identify the root cause of it. 

We will update you as soon as the issue is fixed. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 231 Replies 231
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. It's been a known issue for at least a couple of years. The fastest and pretty much the only "solution" is Alt + Tab to another program / window and then back to Xd, which fixes the issue temporarily. Reinstalling won't fix it, as it's a bug within Xd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still waiting for a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please have this 2 YEARS OLD bug fixed already? Like seriously, 2 years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almos 4 year old bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this issue has plagued me for a while now and I finally got frustrated enough to see if anybody has had this issue and if anyone has come up with a solution to fix it.

While using XD, everything will be working fine. I'll build my designs without issue. Then at some random point in the process, even though I've done it several times already, when I try to add text by clicking the Text tool (T) and then placing it within my design and begin typing, it will not do anything. It doesn't matter if I just click with the tool and begin typing or if I draw a text area (by clicking with the Text tool and dragging out a box) and begin typing. It shows every indication that it is working correctly, and by that I mean that it will show the bounding box that I draw to put the text within and even adds it to the Layers list on the left, however both vanish the moment I deselect the text after having attempted to add text. This also happens on occassion when I click on existing text and attempt to edit it.

Sometimes I can fix this and get it to work properly by clicking on the Prototype or Share tabs and then back on the Design tab and then trying to add text again, but most times that trick doesn't work. It also doesn't matter whether I have a unique font or a system font selected. I have even tried to reinstall the software once.

Any suggestions or solutions for this issue would be most welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is well known and has been around for a long time with qute a few threads discussing it 🙂

The current "solution" / workaround is to press Alt+Tab and switch to a different application and then switch back to Xd, which fixes the problem temporarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok great. Alt + Tab isn't one that I've tried but I'll give it a go. I do hope Adobe gets around to actually addressing this issue soon since, as you said, it has been around for a long time.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is truly pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue still persists in Oct 2021. Can Adobe please sort this out. It's really annoying and Alt-Tab is a temporary solution not the 'fix'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's August 2022 and I still experience the same issue, and it happens to me every 5 minutes. It's really frustrating. How do I fix it permanently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

November 2023 and still there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use FIGMA ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do on a multi-monitor setup is, deselect the text that I'm editing and just click on the top bar of any other open program on the other monitor and come straight back into XD.

I've noticed that when this happens one of the inputs in the right-hand properties panel has taken focus. You'll be typing away and your text is appearing in the font size field for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is continual problem and has been for a long time now. It's incredible frustrating to workflow when you constantly have to close down the program and restart because you can't edit a simple label. Restart seems to be the only relaiable work around for me.

Windows 10 user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol, you restart your PC for this manageable bug? All you need to do is just press Alt +Tab and switch to any program and press Alt +Tab again to return to XD everything will work instantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many others I too am having the same, frustrating issue.  I find it amusing that the "fix" is to Alt-Tab to another program and then go back into XD.  This is not a solution and should be fixed properly, as soon as possible (should have been fixed a long time ago).  When this issue is combined with having to edit text on multiple states of a component because changing text doesn't carry over to other states (like a button which has a minimum of 3 states, sometimes upwards of 6 states), it becomes unbearable to deal with.  This is something that the team on Adobe XD should be embarrased by.  If I were to deliver such a product with these types of issues to my clients I would be fired for incompetence.  The irony is that Adobe XD is a program for UX and UI designers to make and demonstrate user experiences and the program itself has such a poor user experience.  That is not to say that there aren't good elements to the product, but there are many aspects which leave many of us pulling out our hair because additional work hours (unpaid hours) are required adding to our already busy workload which just adds stress to designers.  I have been running into so many issues with the program and following threads relating to issues, that in some cases, have been around for years.

Adobe, please attack these issues with more sincerity and your user base will be happier and will not be looking to Figma and other UX design software as an alternative.

That's all I have to say about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue occurs when I try to edit the flow name as well. Its an annoying bug that spoil my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree over the last week this has been super annoying it seems to be 80 percent of the time i type , changing text using text tool, renaming layers, renaming components, I have to click another window so i can type in. I am using a PC so not sure if this is just a PC issue, or combination of PC and speed of comp.  This issue totally kills my production and speed in using tool. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,
I've been having this problem for months now, maybe years and I used to solve it with alt + tab too.
Today, I open Adobe XD, and I just can't type anywhere. I can't rename my document, even if it's a new one, nor type text, nor enter size values etc...
Alt + tab doesn't change the problem, restarting my PC doesn't change the problem, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling the application.
As a new freelancer, I pay my own subscription of 60€ for the complete Adobe suite. And I can't start the mock-up of my client's website.
Please Adobe, do something to solve this awful problem!

And in the meantime, please help me.
Thanks everyone

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure you have tried clicking out of the text layer you are on into a different layer as I find sometimes the software acts like its frozen when in a text layer and nothing works including going in and out of the software. changing layer seems to fix this particular bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing the same problem here but since I runned the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner, this annoying issue disappeared (At least for the last 8 hours working in XD).

I cleaned all products and reinstalled everything. 🙂

(link removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue related to yours (I needed some frustration build up to write it down, too). in my case when I'm trying to edit a text it selects the text box but I can't see the cursor and it doesn't selected the text in blue (even if I press ctr+A). It is working because if I write I can see the changes but it's very hard to be sure where the cursor is. Nothing really helps and I've noticed that it is related only with the file I'm working with. If I try it on another open file it is ok - till I don't work in it for a while - then it happens again. Last days I am heavily editing texts and I;m going crazy. Anybody with the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Please ensure that you have the latest version of XD which is 45.1. This generally happens if there any pending updates available for display drivers, so please please check and update if needed and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines