Why am I always having to rename or save 'over' the same file name? When I save on top of the already existing file name...then of course, I have to make a NEW link to the preview...so the developers are always chasing a new link and all the comments are spread around on all links. This is terrible. Fix this....should be just Open file, save it....and keep everything the same.
But it's often not letting you save the file as it is....it tries to make another file name. What's up with that?
We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Please share a few more details like:
Note: Please add the logs to a shared location like Google Drive or DropBox and share the link through DM by clicking on my name.
1. XD version 184.108.40.206 | Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0
2. This has been happening under the last 2 to 3 most recent updates. Different XD files will also do the same...where 'Save' is greyed out (but new edits/changes have been made) and the only way to save is 'Save As'.
3. No co-editing has been enabled on any of the files.
4. Sorry, I don't have this info.
This is a well-known issue. Adobe does nothing but ignore it 🙂 They copy/paste the same 3 questions and no further answers are posted.
I've already made two posts about it. No answers to be seen.
Copy link to clipboard
It's happening again just now. All I did was, open a LOCAL copy of the XD file I was working on, then change some color on a few drawn rectangles and tried to save it...(the local file - on the computer), but it seems XD REALLY likes you to save stuff to their cloud...so the app only promps you to default 'save as' with a new name or over-write the existing one (even if you over-write, though, you still have to create a NEW LINK to the preview URL, and then, bang, the "Save As" issues bug crops up.
Can't install the Log Collector tool due to corporate security policies, etc...so can't provide date stamp/files/etc.
XD needs to add a system-level preference toggle switch that shuts down and disables any and all CLOUD SAVES as an option...maybe that will kill this anoying bug. I think this XD app has an affinity for Cloud saves and that is disrupting the normal 'Save' behavior.
Copy link to clipboard
Can you be more specific as to the steps you're doing? Are you opening a local file, choosing File > Save and it's not letting you? What happens then... is that when it's forcing a Save As (and it that a cloud save or local save dialog)?
Step 1. Open a local XD file that was already saved and worked on for a few days.
Step 2. Make some edits, maybe do other things in Photoshop/Jira/Teams/etc., then continue editing the XD file.
Step 3. Think...(several edits - I should save progress before a potential crash/or just as common practice)
Step 4. Press the Ctrl+S...instead of the file just proceeding to save itself, a SAVE AS - CLOUD only save option modal box appears.
Step 5. At this point, there is no way to save any changes without breaking the preview URL link that folks are referencing.
Step 6. If I don't want to lose those changes, I dismiss the modal Cloud Save As option, then choose the FILE, drop-down.. Save As Local Document... Saving it this way...I end up making a NEW XD file name copy or overwrite the previous one, and a make a new preview URL for developers to chase down.
Step 7. Tell team to abandon the 'current' preview URL, and go to a new one, rinse & repeat. Happens frequently.
My partial hit-miss workaround....I don't save any changes, lose my progress work, close the file, close XD, re-open the file, make an insignificant change, save it....see if it performs as expected...cross fingers, then if it saves, I move ahead with edits, if not, well, I have the same issue, Save As to the cloud modal box crops up. That's pretty much it.
Something not right with Save
- XD file is open, maybe sits open for a few hours, make an edit, try to save it, bang...problem SAVE AS bug appears.
Copy link to clipboard
I'm having the same issue.
1) I open XD and edit my XD file.
2) I divert my attention elsewhere for a few minutes, in which time XD has typically crashed and closed.
3) When I reopen XD, the 'most recent' document is listed with an asterix (*). Presumably this indicates it's a recovered file - however it often fails to recover my most recent edits.
4) When I attempt to save the file, it prompts me to 'save as,' meaning I have to save it as a separate local file.
I've had this issue for a month now.