Any way to fully justify text in XD?

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any way to fully justify text in XD?

Thanks!

JIM.

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can connect with your peers for conversations that don't directly relate to product help and support) to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

It's not supported at the moment! You can upvote this in UserVoice, though: Full justification for area text – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A counter argument is that if a 40-odd person company in Europe can do justified text, and the Animate, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign (and other) teams managed it, the XD team ought to be able to do it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason is obvious :

p {text-align: justify;}

https://developer.mozilla.org/fr/docs/Web/CSS/text-align

What can say moore ? 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this to plea for implentation, because it's technically available ?

Or a plea not to implement, because of all associated shortcomings ?

justify.png

Justification often forces spaces to stretch intensively. Especially in languages with many compound words. And hyphenation algorhytmhs and vocabulairies for the web can't be trusted to elegantly and correctly lessen or solve this problem. So I'm not surprised nor disappointed that Adobe hasn't made any progress in this area, yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank @Peter Villevoye , but all of us know that.
It isn't a problem of render is a problem when is bad use by the designer.

Fortunately, we are in 2021 and the CSS Breakpoints exists.

To conclude, no one imposes to use this type of alignment.

But if some people need, it is their right as users and creators.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, dude. You might not be aware that not everyone in the world uses the English alphabet. Shocking, but true. Some people even speak and write entire languages that aren't Latin-based. Even more shocking.

I did explain this in another thread about text justification in XD, but I'm not going to go find it and link to it like you have done.

Between Chinese and Arabic alone, 20% of all living humans use letters and characters that should be or have certain uses that must be justified. 

As to what originally brought me to this topic on these forums a year and a half ago, I just happened to have been living in China. And my agency's cilent (rightly) wanted their Chinese text justified on the touch-screen exhibition that they were buidling in Shanghai. The print designers in the department, the art director, the project manager, and even the client could justify the text in every program on their computers. Just me using XD for an interactive experience couldn't. And who was this client who wouldn't accept that the text would be justified in the final application and demanded that I represent it in prototypes? Only Alibaba. And you can't tell a company worth more than a trillion dollars that I can't do the thing they can all do in Word and PowerPoint. So, I got to stay late for weeks updating their text content by making transparent gifs of text blocks in AI then moving them into XD instead of just clicking the little fully-justify button. 

The second project I did for Alibaba was their interactive pavillion for the Tokyo Olympics. Low and behold, Japanese is another language that should be justified. So, 2 of the 3 langages I had to make the VR/AR registration/profile-sharing app with were supposed to be justified. That was fun making gifs for. And then covid canceled it, anyways.

So, in summary. You're really passionate about not thinking that anyone else on Earth isn't you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Obieblu, thanks for sharing your insights on our global writing systems. 

I'm very well aware of this phenomena and I try to teach everyone to take note of the many (if not all) of its aspects, when choosing typefaces or setting type in general. This ranges from warning designers not to settle on font families which don't support a decent range of glyphs to at least spell someone's name correctly, to learning how to use Adobe's World-Ready features in software like InDesign for more intricate typesetting in any language.

So your assumption that I'm clueless about this, is wrong.

The verdict that Adobe XD is not yet World-Ready, is true.

As I have replied numerous times: it seems that Adobe is more concerned about implementing a robust and full-featured type engine (like Adobe moderators have indicated before), leapfrogging over the momentary lack of a justification option. That's probably their policy for prioritizing development – don't blame me. I'm missing many many more typographical features in the Text section, even some which are perfectly fit for the web, both esthetically and technically – don't get me started...

Let's stay tuned for a promising new version, or move to another tool ?

A tip: you could use Creative Cloud Libraries to easily exchange and update texts from Illustrator. However, you need to outline the text before dragging into the library, because XD obviously doesn't accept a plain text frame with a justified setting. In case such vector-based parts are getting too complex and too large in file size, use the Assets panel to quickly save and update them as transparant PNGs, that might yield a better visual result than a GIF.

I know, it's a lousy detour, but I hope this helps a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shame!

Cyrillic and Chinese which is used Kanji and Arabic script is too long or short. It should be to justify!

Justification is Justice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that helps anybondy, I have found this plugin to be very useful.

https://github.com/amirhosseinhpv/adobe-xd-justify-it/releases

Works very well so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to give y'all an impression of what happens when text is justified.

Mind the gap ! (This text is in Dutch, set at a reasonable line width.)

Schermafbeelding 2020-03-14 om 12.34.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an alternate version of XD for Japanese with justification features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines