• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Associate keypresses with components

New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally threw myself on the update button to update Adobe XD with the ability to associate triggers with keys. I work in the games industry, and being able to associate a button press with a trigger makes all the difference in the world.

I've been looking around a little, but I can't figure out a way to do it, or even if there is a way to do it - associating keypresses with components.

As part of my job, I often have to move actions around on buttons because a game controller is much more limited than touch or mouse and keyboard. One thing that would really help my work with often very large and complex flows, would be to be able to associate a keypress with a component. meaning that I can set the function in the component rather than the link between artboards.

This could potentially also be a very useful tool for A/B testing to get prototypes up and running quickly.

Another thing that would be very helpful is the ability to associate multiple triggers for one object on the artboard. Say I have a keypress like enter. Having that associated both with the enter key and left mouse click would be super helpful when building a game UI for mouse/ keyboard and give it an authentic feel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The components do not store prototype links but you can copy and paste the element with link wire in the Prototype mode.

As for your second point, since the key trigger can be assigned to any element on the artboard, you can have both key trigger and mouse trigger coexist easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say I'm a bit ashamed of the lack of foresight on my part when it comes to the keypresses, but thank you for the solution, much appreciated.

When it comes to the components and prototype links - I'm dealing with about 100 - 200 keypresses using the same button in my prototypes. I'm using about as many artboards as you can cram into one file. Going through all those and cutting and pasting, sure, I can do that, but it takes a lot of time.

Being able to associate a button with a keypress without having to cut/ paste or go into each link would be awesome. Say I have button A on a controller associated with a label called "select" that also has an icon for the button in the label. With components it's easy to change the visual appearance of the button to say B, but to actually associate all the keypresses with B in the prototype is quite cumbersome. Having that functionality in the component would be awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines