• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

components, bug, conflict

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a component conflict and as a result I can't update a symbol in my document to the latest version. However, this conflicting symbol should NOT be anywhere in my document. The current version of XD does not show that it is linked anywhere, but there is some hidden linkage that XD is not visualizing, but it is nevertheless still causing a conflict.

This is confusing because it involves several documents and links so I have opted to describe the different documents and symbols with all caps identifiers.  I hope this is helpful and not more confusing.

1. The PROJECT document I am attempting to update is called "Responsive Screens"
  2. The COMPONENTS document I am attempting to update is named "UI Components v2"
  3. The SYMBOL is named "Avatar--Medium".
  4. The OLDER COMPONENTS document, which "UI Components v2" is based on, is named "Requests"

Because I saved  The COMPONENTS document as a newer version of The OLDER COMPONENTS document, there is some hidden history that I cannot untangle, and as a result I can't update my assets file.

Steps:

1. I attempt to update the libararies in the PROJECT document. I get an error saying The SYMBOL has a conflict that I must resolve.
  2. I switch over to the Document assets "tab" in the PROJECT document to try to manage this issue. There is a linked SYMBOL shown there, with 0 instances in the PROJECT document.
  3. I right-click on that linked SYMBOL and  in the PROJECT document library and select "Edit Main in source"
  4. XD opens the OLDER COMPONENTS document that is not listed in my list of linked libararies in either the PROJECT or COMPONENTS files. There should NOT be references to that older file anywhere in my current project.
  5. I CANNOT edit the OLDER COMPONENTS document as there are people using it and the assets inside of it.
  6. XD presents me no option to delete the linked the SYMBOL inside of the PROJECT document that is being pulled from the OLDER COMPONENTS document, even though XD shows no links to that older library.
  7. There should not be ANY links to the OLDER COMPONENTS document in the work I am currently doing, but I think because the COMPONENTS document was saved as a newer version of the OLDER COMPONENTS document there are links. I have no way to un-link the OLDER COMPONENTS document from my PROJECT document.

Some additional notes:

1. There is ONE version of the SYMBOL inside of the COMPONENTS document, when I search all libraries. It is document level, and not linked to another document.
  2. There is ONE version of  the SYMBOL inside of the PROJECT document and it IS linked to another document: the OLDER COMPONENTS document.
  3. The OLDER COMPONENTS document is not shown in the list of linked libraries in either the COMPONENTS document OR the PROJECT DOCUMENT.

This is a mess, and I am frankly tired of dealing with the myriad bugs in XD.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry for the delay in response. Will it be possible for you to share the actual file with us so that we can test this on our end? If yes, please add the file to a shared location and then share the link either here or through DM by clikcing on my name.

Note: While sending the DM, please add this discussion link in the subject.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its great your fixing issue for the user above, but this doesnt help us in the same boat, please response i imagine alot of users coming across this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a similar bug that has been really hard to fix. The message for component fix keeps showing up, despite all my efforts to update all the symbols in my design system. Need some help as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I fixed this issue, finally (hopefully!).  Check my other reply in the thread and see if that works for you.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm experiencing a similar problem. It's impossible to figure this out, as none of the advice given is feasible. I'm moving eveything over to Figma right now. It's another incredible display of Adobe not able to deliver a working piece of software. I'm honestly ashamed of myself for giving them a chance again and again. 

If anyone is reading this who has not already invested into setting up their designs on XD: DON'T DO IT. YOU WILL SUFFER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue ended up being that the components system in XD is an absolute disaster, and keeps references to components in even "unpublished" cloud documents (what??).

The "fix":

1. I had to unpublish every one of the "older" components files.  This did effectively nothing, because there were STILL references to the old components files in current documents.  <THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN>

2. I had to save new duplicate versions of them so that there were no references to those new versions.

3. I had to delete the old versions of those components files.

Step 3 caused a bunch of components links to break in my documents, even though the documents didn't show any reference to those older components libraries.  But then, any "conflicted" components would finally show their correct versions, and not the old versions from the "unpublished" components libraries. Lots of components used in the document are broken and unlinked now.  But at least I can access all of the components in my newer components document (fingers crossed).

It should not be the case that documents retain links to components in "unpublished" files.  That is misleading and incredibly disruptive and confusing.  I was still dealing with this issue as of YESTERDAY.  I finally deleted the offending older components file out of the cloud and *hopefully* that will end this issue.

If I could move to Sketch I would.  This is an absolute embarassment for Adobe that a USER EXPERIENCE design application has such a disruptive and time-wasting UX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines