Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a button that resizes based on the text inside - XD 26

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

content_aware_gif.gif

You just received instructions from your client asking to rename all buttons with the text “SUBMIT” in them to “CLICK HERE FOR LAUGHS”. You aren’t too pleased because it is the weekend and there’s a party you cannot miss. 

In this case at least, you have room for cheer. With a few simple steps, you can now create a button that resizes itself based on the text inside. Just in case your client has a quick change of heart (and mind), you will still party.  

Let’s get started. 

1. Create a rectangle that will be the container for your text. 
  2. Type “SUBMIT” using the Text Tool. 
  3. Drag the Text into the rectangle and position it. Don’t worry about the exact padding. 
  4. Now, select the objects and use Ctrl+G/Cmd+G to group the objects. 
  5. In the Properties Inspector panel, enable the Padding option. 
  6. Ensuring that the layer for text is selected, change text to “CLICK HERE FOR LAUGHS” 

3mftad.gif

Did the rectangle resize? Good. 

Now that you are a pro at creating magic buttons, look at all the padding options and play around with them. See https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/set-fixed-padding-for-components-groups.html for more info and for the download file. 

TOPICS
Design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to have the icon on the right using this? In my example below the icon just stays in place as the padding grows, the icon is set to use responsive resize and fixed to the right hand size.

buttons.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the anchors for the responsive layout can help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to achieve this by grouping the background and the icon together. This allowed the shape to resize based on the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this works just fine. But anchors should work too, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you screenshot your layesr for this? I cannot get this to work for the life of me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I made this example for people who encounter the same problem

EBO5E3F_0-1647425457728.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a video of this? Tried this method and it doesn't resize the button background with the icon moving too (and I can't select auto resize for the top component layer). Tried these exact settings.

Honestly getting tired of having to do all these workarounds for basic needs and functions ! How can making a button be so difficult? So simple on Figma but I am stuck using Adobe XD for work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean
I've provided an XD file which i've created for this design. I was'n able to upload it directly to this post due to an error with the file's. I couldn't resolve. "content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension" but you can trust me with this url to my personal website.

https://www.glennlignel.be/design/responsive-button-with-icon-right.xd

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we really want is to use that button as a component. This only solves half the problem.

When you create another button from the component and change the text, the button resizes correctly, but you have to do the same for each and every state of that component. Still quite annoying experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into the same thing. Padding and responsive resize work fine, having to change text for every state for every instance is just useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 would like to see this feature, I have also just encountered this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried this workflow yet, and I am sure that the team has this enhancement on their minds. Meanwhile, I suggest posting your request on UserVoice, or voting for one if a similar request has been created. https://adobexd.uservoice.com

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's "uservoice" site. 😂

The abyss where improtant requests for basics fixes go to be unresolved as years pass by.

Love that site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Margins are great imporvement, but.... It doesn't work if the background button is a component. My margins stays at 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

foubnd a workaround : ctrl+g to create a group of your component and you're good to go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a pretty good improvement. But on XD 34, it works only on master components. As soon as you create an instance of a component, which is exactly the purpose of components, when you change the text of the default state, this change is not propagated to child states. So...it's useless.

Since months, I try to alert the XD components system is totally broken, and nothing changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's UX has become a disaster over the past 5 years.

A scalable button, that's easy to create that supports an icon is a very common need.

I've created them in the past. Then a new release comes along, and things no longer work the same way and seemingly aren't possible. That is, at least without having to learn a new approach.

Also, Adobe, any update on Color Profile Management that we've been asking for? It's been years...still no update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had to switch to it for work and it is a nightmare. I am constantly having to google for workarounds to basic functions and needs. What an embarassment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for your sharing. Box radius is increasing with text. How can I lock the box radius when using responsive feature. resposnive radius problem.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

As i see from your example, you're trying oval borders instead of the standard rounded border. I managed to aquire the result you're looking for in this way:

GlennLignel_0-1655391407094.png

In my example I work with 2 ovals & a rectangular center, union combined

You can download an example source file from my personal website:
https://www.glennlignel.be/design/Responsive-button-with-oval-borders.xd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines