• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Design]-Adding new state to a component changes size and position of embedded components in XD.

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As written above. I got stuck in different kind of (really annoying and time consuming) trouble with multiple embedded components (that derive from a master document).

When resetting components in the client document, XD duplicates layers although the master component did only contain the layers once.

When adding *just a component state* in the client document to a component that contains a couple of instances from components of the master file (which I expected to be a copy of the default state) XD resizes components in an absolute weird way. Things are minimized in width and also duplicated (as written in #1)

Having defined a component in the master document and trying to copy it into a layout document moves elements within the component when it is pasted. 

As I have to do some real complex forms it is absolutely painful to rearrange dozens and dozens of things just to realize that XD crumbles them from time to time without any warning. To be honest: it’s nearly impossible to work efficiently with XD this way and esp. nested components and states are so buggy that they are quite useless so far. I think I have wasted more time with repairing errors I couldn't reproduce or even understand than these features could have helped me saving time. 

It seems that it just too early to build up a complex design system with XD. If you can’t rely on basic things as positioning etc. problems could grow so big in the end that I don’t even think about more complex things as collaboration with others.   

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Design , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Hi Clemen,

I understand your concern and sorry for the delay. The team has already logged a bug for this issue and they are working in it. I have attached your files to the bug. The status is under progress. You may definitely see the improvements in the future releases of XD.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. I really appreciate your patience. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please do a Screen recording of the issue your facing. It would really help us understand it better.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video shows #3 as I have found out that #1 is a known issue with XD assuming changes to a *master* component as overrides as well. I have found the description of a problem similar to mine in another topic. #2 and #3 may have the same reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the same in XD on windows and macOS but I dint faced the issue you're getting in the video above. Can you share the XD file you used to create the video? So that I can test it 

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have prepared a minified master and layout file for you to reproduce the problem. To reproduce the problem please: 

#error 1
1. Open layout file

2. Edit the input field component (resize it or change label text)

3. Try resetting it to master component 

4. Position of label and input field changes (y -1px)

#error 2

1. Open layout file

2. Edit the input field component (resize oder change label)

3. Select resetting to master component 

4. Part of an (old) layer "settings" appears on the right side behind the exit button. This layer is *not* in the curent master component any more but may have been before. It seems to be in a kind of internal cache.  

Link to zip with the 2 mentioned files 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still present in 27.0.12.16 – seems that things even got worse … 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do confirm this problem and, for me at least, it happens directly with master component. As soon as I add a new state, I clearly see on the screen some changes in size and position of elements, that's make working with components almost impossible.

Here is a screen recording

XD 25.1.12.7 on macOS Catalina.

The file to reproduce the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is still present with XD 26.0.22.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try installing XD 27 and let us know? There have been some performance enhancements in this update, and it is possible that this is among them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Prepan, you know I provided a sample file to reproduce the problem, right? So, why don't you (Adobe) do the testing by yourself?

And yes, same problem with XD 27. I guess this may come from the file itself which could be "corrupted", sort of.

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing the details with video and file. I have logged a bug for the issue, would you mind sharing the log files with me over a private message? You may generate the log file using this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and upload the file to a shared location such as Creative Cloud app or Dropbox.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will definitely be the last time I will give an update to this issue as things only seem to get worse and nothing changes since months. What you can see is the state before updating components (left) after some small adjustments and after that (right). As it is a prototype with lots of inputs and other form fields it is hours of work to fix these really obvious errors. Some of the components have even been untouched and go weird anyway. What you can definitely see is that xd imports elements of older versions although these elements are NOT in the master file. I checked that a dozen times. And why pill boxes(on top) are resized is totally mysterious. I have changed nothing on these in the master file. 

xd-fail.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comparison of master and layout file – just to proof that it is a real huge bug. The additional layers get added to the component just by importing it and have to be removed manually – PLUS adjusting positioning.Comparison of master and layout file – just to proof that it is a real huge bug. The additional layers get added to the component just by importing it and have to be removed manually – PLUS adjusting positioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clemen,

I completely understand your frustration and understand how you feel. I would feel the same in your situation. I already logged a bug for your issue and the team is investigating on it. Could you please share this file and log file with me again as it would be helpful for the team to test with number of files and logs?

Pease generate the logs using the link mentioned in my previous post and upload it to a shared location such as Creative Cloud and share the url with me over a private message.

I would also like to confirm if you are working on the latest version of XD. Please share the screenshot of your about XD info page.

I will try my best to address your issue.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. The team is still working on your issues and you may definitley see the improvements in the future releases of XD. 

We really appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, Adobe. Trying to insert a component into another component turns out to do *this*? 
Of all things going crazy with nested components this is the weirdest thing – are you kidding? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'd request if you can share a few more details like:

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have to go in the @ClemensGra direction. You've a very serious problem around components in XD. This few past days, I worked on a new design. I created a table component in my file. Added some states, etc, and duplicated this component into screens.

And each time I need to modify the master component, something is not correctly widespread among all "slaves" components. So I have to copy/paste again and again the component, and re-do all the prototype interactions, etc.

Another problem : we've designed a components library based on Ant.Design. This library is stored in its own CC Document, and I've seen the following. When a master component is in your very current file, when you change something in the "Default state", this change is widespread among allo "child" states, and this is expected, great and normal.

But if the master component is linked from an external CC doc, this behavior is not true anymore, and you've to manually replicate all changes to the "Default state" and "child" states.

I'm very sorry, but working with component is currently really painfull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh – I have already sent files and the log files to Harshika and I ALWAYS use the latest version as I always hope that these painful troubles end … I really don't know why I should do this over and over again. We're talking about this for months now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clemen,

I understand your concern and sorry for the delay. The team has already logged a bug for this issue and they are working in it. I have attached your files to the bug. The status is under progress. You may definitely see the improvements in the future releases of XD.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. I really appreciate your patience. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this issue is not solve yet until now cuz I got same issue until now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue still doesn't seem to be resolved:
I determine the described layout issues when trying to change parameters of elements within a component's state. The other states' properties change by doing so.

Another thing, which is more like a missing feature, that I am struggling with, is that by copying a component, its states get copied as well, but if I make changes in the copy's standard state, these are not applied to the other states of that component copy as the other states still derive all their content and specs from the master component. So if I have a master component for UI buttons including the hover behavíour, I need to change the content in all of its copies in both states, the standard state and the hover state. That's really frustrating.

Are there any Updates on the main issue and maybe some light on the horizon in regards of the other (somehow related) issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm also facing this issue. Is there any kind of fix or workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines