Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Design] -Components not updating properly

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am struggling with a possible bug of components not updating properly to match master component. I had to do some some rework on my master components, where I deleted some features and added in new. My master component looks just as it should, however when I place the component from the asset list, it now has has all the new features, but also the old ones, like they would've never been removed at all..!?

Here's an example, the one on the left is the master component, as you can see from the selection box. The one on the right is the same component placed from the assets list. It has two plus sign overlapping, the old one I have removed from the master component, and the new updated sign.

I've tried everything to "refresh" the asset list but I just can't make it work. This is happening with many of the components simultaneously. I think the only way is to remove the component completely and then creating it again. However this is quite a big effort since I have to replace all of the instances and relink all the links in the prototype...

Any advice?

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sending the file and video capture.

I am glad that you are able to resolve your first problem by removing out of sync master and regenerating master element. That was a smart workaround.

Regarding your second problem, unfortunately that's a limitation with nested components. If you have a nested component which is not master then any change done to it will be considered as override (even if it is in master). We have a story in backlog to workout a solution for this limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reaching out to us Niklas.

From your description it looks like your master component and underlying definition of component in asset panel got out of sync. We can surely help you, though we would need more information to debug and see how you got into this state. Here are things that will help us debug:

1. XD file : source file where you see this issue. I recommend to save as a local file, delete all the other stuff and just keep above component. You can either share a dropbox link or any other file sharing.

2. If you can recall all the steps which you performed on master which got you into this state. For example, does it involve resetting inner components or grouping things inside master etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I actually managed to get workaround for my initial problem by deleting the master component that was placed on an artboard and then placing it again from the list with the "Edit master component" command. This then made a new version of the master component that had the unwanted overlapping features, and by removing them from this master component, it started to work normally. Still I think it's not supposed to work like that, but anyways - got it to work.

However, I encountered another similar kind of a problem related to master component not updating properly, and I wasn't able to make it work even with the solution I described above. From the link you'll find the XD file in question, and also a very brief screen cap video I made to better demonstrate the issue.

To describe it briefly: I have a "tab bar" component, which consists of two tab components. I want to make the other tab dimmed by making an override on that element inside the tab bar component. Everything's fine in the master tab bar component, but when I place an instance of the tab bar from the asset list, it has lost the override.

Link to Xd file & video:

WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sending the file and video capture.

I am glad that you are able to resolve your first problem by removing out of sync master and regenerating master element. That was a smart workaround.

Regarding your second problem, unfortunately that's a limitation with nested components. If you have a nested component which is not master then any change done to it will be considered as override (even if it is in master). We have a story in backlog to workout a solution for this limitation. But for now you have to live with it.

In you case you can just ungroup nested component and automatically that change will be propagated to all other instances of tab bar. Here is the quick view of the behavior (nested symbol - YouTube )

Thanks again for sending such a detailed description/video and source file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I remembered reading something about nested components, when trying to find a solution for the issue in the first place and I had a feeling that the second problem might relate to that. I can easily live with it at the moment!

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a large Design System and this drive my crazy.

Imagine, I have plenty of icons (each is a master), I use them in a lot of components as cards, forms etc. (in these, icons are not master, but nested component). But sometimes I have to change the color depending on the use case. But if I change the icon color in a Master card component the modification will not update the others Card Component... Because it is a nested component...

I am sorry but a Design System is fully based on atoms and molecules // Master components and nested components. How can we work properly if the updates are not working?

If I follow your logic, I have to create a Master component for every alternative versions of my icons. So I would have 6 Master Home icons, 6 Master settings icons and so on..

Please tell me this is a priority on you side and your team is working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still a mess – 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, I don't have any nesting. It just doesn't work. I have a side nav bar and for the life of me the EDIT master list doesn't work at all. There is no way to push the overrides. It's just supposed to work.

Video capture:

https://we.tl/t-4g94R4aRci

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jessicama.ads​ Looking at the video capture, I am guessing you have done some structural overrides to the instance (probably extra grouping or changing parent of that icon in the instance) and hence it has gone out of sync with master.

If above theory is correct, then you can make it work by following steps:

1. select that instance (and others that are affected), right click "Reset to Master"

2. Perform above operation of changing things in master.

Or alternatively you can directly use "Reset to Master" on instance in your existing instance. It will remove any override on the instance and force sync to master.

Please let me know if above suggestion does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thing is I don't have a "reset to master" on the instances. I have the most updated XD software.

I ended up going the long route and copy pasting a new set on every single artbooard.

Why don't I have this option? That would have saved me a lot of time before and should be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Reset to master" option is only available when there are any overrides on the instance. Looks like instance has overrides but some how XD did not register it properly (Highly unlikely, but still a chance of a unknown bug)

Can you please share this file? (Deleting unwanted parts from the file). It will help us debug. We will be in better position to describe whats going on there.

Alternatively you can try a quick hack:

- Do some change in instance, say delete a child element.

- Right click on the instance and now reset to master will be available.

But I recommend sharing the file so that we can suggest/implement the exact fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already saved over the file and instead took some time to copy paste brand new Master side navigations onto all the artboards 1 by 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reach out to us if you get into above situation again. We are here to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooof. Like bertrand, I have a created a lot of master components. And, now the majority of them do not look correct (match the master) when I drop them on an artboard. It appears I have wasted a LOT of time. And, now will need to waste a LOT more to correct them.

I just started using XD a few days ago. Went thru a bunch of the video tutorials and felt like everything was going well. This is rough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still experiencing this kind of trouble? (I do)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still experiencing this too 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem still exists in 27 and Adobe does not seem to get things work more than half a year later – I have provided files and detailed reports and still no solution to these kind of problems. If things don’t get better with the next version I’ll return to Sketch. I don’t get paid for testing Adobe’s software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem still isn't fixed (or entirely fixed) and Adobe people should definitely get on that. Components is among the top 3 most important parts of Adobe XD. You simply can't build a UI well using Adobe XD without using components and this bug is so central to the component feature! I've run into it several times and it has set me back, at this point, hours. I'm not going to use Adobe XD for UI/UX design again until this is fixed, but I'm too far in with this project, so I'll have to deal with it for now. Honestly, otherwise this app works really well. Suggestion for Adobe people: stop focusing on building new features until this is fixed - it's that annoying and unintuitive to circumvent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bug is that I have a working master component and I cannot duplicate it in any way and get a working second version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vincero,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'd request if you can explain a bit more about what exactly is happening at your end? When you say duplicating, are you trying to make the same components or talking about the instance of the master component? And is this happening on a specific file or you are unable to do so on multiple files?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've explained the problem – or at least a very similar – quite extensive here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/design-adding-new-state-to-a-component-changes-size-and-posi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clemen,

I understand your frustration and really appreciate your patience. The Team is still working on this issue and you may definitely see the improvements in the future releases of XD.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this issue, is unbearable to work with. There should be a way to remove components from a nested component group with non of these issues. Thanks 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue. We did an update to an input component and all our mockup files across our platform are now jacked up. We spent the day going into every component used and reset to master, then added our local changes. We made one more change to the design system master file and when designers updated their design files that are using the design system, all the inputs jacked up again. Parts of the components were positioned off the artboard and multiple layers of text were stacked on top of one another. 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution ? Still struggling with this update bug. I have more than 500 components with constraints / states for each states... it is a nightmare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines