• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Design]-How do you create a generator type feature in Adobe XD?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm a final year BA Product Design student at university. I'm essentially trying to create a "Brief-Generator" app, so like an app for students to use and it would generate a random brief for them, to use for a project. I want to create a button that when the user clicks it, it would randomly generate a brief, which consists of three drivers (words). A color, material & emotion (these would each have a list of all possible factors it could be). This would be their brief to design from. So for example, if the user picked the color blue, the app could go 'blue-glass-calm". I also wanted it like a slot machine aesthetic. (I've attached some pictures).

I read in a previous thread that this randomizer feature is not possible yet on Adobe XD, not sure if that still stands and if there is a way around it? I have no experience in coding of any sort but would appreciate any tips since this is for my final major project. I hope this makes sense, I'm not the best at explaining these things...Let me know if you need me to explain parts a bit better.

Thank You! 

TOPICS
Design , How to , Missing feature , Plug-ins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Adobe XD doesn't have any built-in features to let you create 'logic' operators or an ability to execute some kind of a script. That said, this article discusses a few plugins based on using randomness. Not that they'll do exactly and immediately what you want, but they migth give you clues in a hopeful direction.

The first plugin in the article uses a "randomize" option to mix static characteristics from several sources, to create new variations. That's because with the API of Adobe XD you ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe XD doesn't have any built-in features to let you create 'logic' operators or an ability to execute some kind of a script. That said, this article discusses a few plugins based on using randomness. Not that they'll do exactly and immediately what you want, but they migth give you clues in a hopeful direction.

The first plugin in the article uses a "randomize" option to mix static characteristics from several sources, to create new variations. That's because with the API of Adobe XD you can develop a plugins which does use logic and scripting ! And if you search for "random" in the Plugin Manager of XD, you can also see several similar plugins popping up. So if you're able to find some one who likes to struggle with developing, your wish might be granted as a fun project.

The second plugin in the article uses a different approach, which also doesn't help you any further, but shows how it's possible to dynamically extract content from Google Docs. So you can set up some link to a spreadsheet with a formula based on random numbers, and random numbers might generate a random mix of preset texts, showing up in XD. And if you'd use a icon font, then you could get some imagery into your artboard.

It's a bit of a detour, but another vague possibility...

Both approaches aren't a walk in the park, but with some fantasy, technical wit, and endurance, you might pull it off 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your input and comments. This definitely helps me have a clearer understanding of Adobe XD and as you said suggests a potential direction I could go down. I shall definitely check it out. 

Thanks again! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines