• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Design]-How does Alignment works in XD?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using XD for about a month now and I'll be damned if I can figure out how the alignment numbers work that XD displays when you are moving elements around. It seems so wildly inconsistent, I think I've figured it out and then nope, it acts differently.

If anyone could point me to articles or videos on how it works that would be super helpful. 

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

It often helps to zoom in on the elements you'd like to align/distribute, or temporarily hide some others, since the Smart Guides only take the elements within screen view in their calculations. Hope this helps, a bit ?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out and using Adobe XD. Would you mind checking this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/xd/help/move-align-distribute-objects.html#align-distribute-objects and let us know if that helps?

We would also request you to please check this uservoice: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/13096641-align-to-... and see if this is the functionality you are looking for? If so, please submit your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice.

If you are experiencing a different issue, please share the screenshot or video of the workflow so that we can understand better.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite what I meant Harshika. I think I just described it wrong, I am talking about these numbers circled in the screenshot. I don't understand how they work. I had categories and the purple shape selected and start moving them up and down, and instead of the expected behavior  of it giving me the number between categories and the grey box, it gave me the number to a paragraph way above even the more products button. 

Does this make more sense?

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.28.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the detailed explaination. Smart guides generally works on boundary to boundary of each object and element in your design. It will show the measurements whenever it aligns to right, left and center of the object in the whole artboard. Please check out this video for reference.

guides measurement..gif

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul, 

Please let us know if the above solution helped you or if you need further assistance on the same. We'll try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's helped a little, it just doesn't seem to behave consistently to me and that is the confusing part. If adobe would do a tutorial or explainer video on it, that would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It often helps to zoom in on the elements you'd like to align/distribute, or temporarily hide some others, since the Smart Guides only take the elements within screen view in their calculations. Hope this helps, a bit ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines