• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Design]-How to create symbols in XD?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this is not stupid: but why isnt it creating symbols across the art board even though I've added it as a component?

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.40.43 AM.png

Thank you!

TOPICS
Design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

You can do it as Jangriti described, above.
You can also draw elements and drag them up or down, into or out of the Component (double-click to collapse/open it) in the Layer panel. So then the new element also becomes part of the Component.

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-06 om 16.51.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. I am not sure if you are aware that symbols are called as components in XD. Is it possible for you to elaborate a bit like what exactly you are trying to create with components in XD?

I tried to replicate the same design at my end but I am not able understand what you exactly you're trying to achieve as an end design.

Screenshot_1.png

I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can judge from your screenshot, you're simply drawing another triangle with the polygon tool. The Component you created (formerly known as a Symbol) is in the Assets panel, right next to it ! Drag it out to the artboard and you'll see the element, with a green outline, indicating that it's another instance of the Component. Does that help ? Otherwise you need to be a bit clearer on what you're doing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm trying to see once i've created the triangle as a symbol or component, if i were to create another triange within the triangle, would it replicate across the 3 different art boards since I've add it as a symbol/component?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

My understanding of your query is that you have created a triangle and made it a component (say component 1 ). You are using instances of the same component in different artboards. Now you want to add a small triangle inside component 1 (i.e the triangle) and you want it to reflect in all the instances of component1. If my understanding is correct, then you can follow the below steps to get the desired result:

1. create a triangle in artboard1
  2. make it a component by clicking on the "+"sign near components in the assets panel
  3. drag instances from the component  to other artboards (say artboard2 and artboard3) 
  4. go to assets panel and right click on the component. The contect menu will appear.
  5. click on "edit master component" in the context menu. You will be able to see that the master component gets highlighted.
  6. Double click the master component to go to edit mode.
  7. add the smaller triangle in the master component(which is in edit mode). You will be able to see the newly added triangle inside the previous one in all instances of the component.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks & Regards

Jagriti Kashyap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do it as Jangriti described, above.
You can also draw elements and drag them up or down, into or out of the Component (double-click to collapse/open it) in the Layer panel. So then the new element also becomes part of the Component.

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-06 om 16.51.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines