• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Design]-Nested components lose their text in XD.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my problem. I have a component "Checkbox" consisting of a rectangle and a text "MyText".

I use these components twice as an instance, changing "MyText" to "Article 1" and "Article 2".

From both instances I make a new component_2 again.
And now my problem: If I use this component_2 again, then the text in the two checkboxes only contains "MyText" - I would have expected that the checkboxes would have said "Article 1" and "Article 2".

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Design , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

It could be under debate, whether an instance in a component should behave like an embedded instance, or as a part of a component. It's a dilemma, and they can't please both ideas at the same time. So for now, the practice favors to let this text behave as an instance, and not trickle through as (part of a) component. Maybe an additional option should be offered, how to let it behave.

And you're not alone – I found several similar feature requests at XD's Uservoice:

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353010-adobe-xd-bugs-read-only/suggestions/37647550-master-component-changes-do-not-update-on-children

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kai Michael,

Thank you for reaching out. I am unable to reproduce the same at my end may be I am missing something. Could you please share a short video of your workflow for better understanding? What is the OS and XD version of your machine? 

I will try my best to help you out.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you :-). How can i share a video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it always doesn't work if you first make a component out of the two instances and then change the text in the component afterwards.

If you then insert an instance of the component, you have the error.

I have updated the current MacOS and today to Adobe DX (V28.2.12.3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://youtu.be/_ZUpjnO0MJk 

The link to the video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what your video shows is correct behavior.

In the first setup, you change the text of the INSTANCES after creating the larger component.

In the second setup, you create the larger component AFTER changing them as instances.

So there's a logic in both scenarios which make sense, at least to me, and in a useful way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that would mean that I can never change the text of a component in a component afterwards...
In my view, this is not the point of components and their instances.

Changes to a component should be passed on to the instance, unless the changed property (Text, Bold/Regular, Size, Color, etc.) has been overwritten at the instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It could be under debate, whether an instance in a component should behave like an embedded instance, or as a part of a component. It's a dilemma, and they can't please both ideas at the same time. So for now, the practice favors to let this text behave as an instance, and not trickle through as (part of a) component. Maybe an additional option should be offered, how to let it behave.

And you're not alone – I found several similar feature requests at XD's Uservoice:

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353010-adobe-xd-bugs-read-only/suggestions/37647550-master-comp...

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/39646270-component...

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/39051064-create-ne...

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38727562-make-mast...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines