Highlighted

[Design]-Provide a Master Artboard in XD.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For elements that are applicable on all artboards provide a "stand alone" Master Artboard like Powerpoint.

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Villevoye | Adobe Community Professional

I have 30+ years experience with Master Pages in tools like PageMaker, XPressInDesign, PowerPoint, and Keynote, but I'd not endorse this kind of feature in software like Adobe XD, for these three reasons:

1. Adobe XD caters for web and app design – not for static formats like print media or presentation sheets. This requires different approaches for elements at fluent positions (e.g. below the viewport) and responsiveness.
  2. There are much better solutions than copy/paste to deal with repetitive content – try Components ! These offer many advantages over having a Master Page and can be locally edited and centrally managed.
  3. Adobe XD is not about doing a lot of production work, but designing different ideas. So you probably need less similar designs...

The only aspect which I'd like to be 'mastered' and which cannot be handled by a Component, is the background color of the artboard. But then again, there's no setting for that in InDesign either. In both environments I'd need to use some element to carry that color across multiple designs (like a rectangle on the Master Page in InDesign or a Component in Adobe XD)...

TOPICS
Design, Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

[Design]-Provide a Master Artboard in XD.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For elements that are applicable on all artboards provide a "stand alone" Master Artboard like Powerpoint.

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Villevoye | Adobe Community Professional

I have 30+ years experience with Master Pages in tools like PageMaker, XPressInDesign, PowerPoint, and Keynote, but I'd not endorse this kind of feature in software like Adobe XD, for these three reasons:

1. Adobe XD caters for web and app design – not for static formats like print media or presentation sheets. This requires different approaches for elements at fluent positions (e.g. below the viewport) and responsiveness.
  2. There are much better solutions than copy/paste to deal with repetitive content – try Components ! These offer many advantages over having a Master Page and can be locally edited and centrally managed.
  3. Adobe XD is not about doing a lot of production work, but designing different ideas. So you probably need less similar designs...

The only aspect which I'd like to be 'mastered' and which cannot be handled by a Component, is the background color of the artboard. But then again, there's no setting for that in InDesign either. In both environments I'd need to use some element to carry that color across multiple designs (like a rectangle on the Master Page in InDesign or a Component in Adobe XD)...

TOPICS
Design, Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 31, 2020 0
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of website wireframing and hi-fidelity design. A lot of the pages have a lot of common elements (header, footer, navigation, etc...). Using symbols is a big time saver for me, but it would be awesome to create a MASTER artboard! Indesign has master pages, but it would be nice to depend on one tool to do it all, especially with illustrator's tool set!

So here's how it would work: Create multiple artboards for your project (in this case its a website design). Set the first artboard as the MASTER artboard. Whatever you put in the master artboard will be duplicated to all the other artboards (or the specifc ones you would select for it to copy to). When you change something, like a button in the main navigation, it will change in all the other artboards. When you create or edit something in a non-master artboard it will not change anything in the master artboard. So you'll probably have to unlink an element from the master-artboard to make it look unique (say if a different page needs it).

That would be SO AWESOME!

-Sergie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2011 1
Explorer ,
May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make those master elements into symbols, update one and then they're all updated. Break symbol open as needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2011 0
Participant ,
May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why didn't i think of that?

Thanks brent!

-Sergie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2011 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Exitright,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback. If I heard you right, this is the fucntionality you are looking for: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/12922758-global-ma...? If so, please submit your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2020 1