• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Design]-Responsive resize not honored across component states in copies of components in XD.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into an issue where I create a master component with a simple default and hover state (I'm just changing the background color).  I set up the responsive resize for both the default and hover states such that the background rectangle always fills the entire component area.  If I then copy that component and scale it, it shows up as modified and only the default background scales, the hover background doesn't scale at all, even though they are the same rectangle, just a different color.  If I reset to the master state, it undoes my scaling.  I just want responsive resize settings to be honored across all states of my component, I have them set the same for all states.  I shouldn't have to resize each and every one of my states when I place a component and scale it.  All the states should scale equally according to the responsive resize rules set.  The master component does honor responsive resize across all states when scaled, it's just the copies where this is an issue.  It's only scaling the default state (or whatever state is selected)

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Hello John,

Thankyou for briging up the issue. Well, what happens in state is slightly complex. When you create a master component with few states,only default state of master component has right to change all it's unoverridden state because all other states  act as instance , even copied instance too.

And when you copy master component and paste ,then it is instance where each state of instance is depend on master component's state. Means, if you want to change color of state 1 of all instances

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

I think the main issue is that in this instance, even non-overridden child properties related to responsive resize aren't inheritating the default state setting.

But furthermore, if someone changes a child state setting by mistake, there should be a way to revert just that setting to inherit the default state.  It better yet, a toggle for each and every parameter to specify if it should inherit from the default state or use a customized value.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Thankyou for briging up the issue. Well, what happens in state is slightly complex. When you create a master component with few states,only default state of master component has right to change all it's unoverridden state because all other states  act as instance , even copied instance too.

And when you copy master component and paste ,then it is instance where each state of instance is depend on master component's state. Means, if you want to change color of state 1 of all instances,you need to change color of master component's state 1 to reflect in all. If you edit state of instance,it will not gonna reflect in other copied instances.

Hope it would be helpful. Please revert back for any doubts or issues.

Thank you,

Anita Subedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i am Robert born 8 29 2011

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely unpleasant, since you are seeking to create a button that should be consistent in the entire system, or simply a hover component that is the same across many text elements, so if you resize the copied instances, they states doesnt resize, the text inside remains the previous one, so you are obligated to resize the states inside making this a hell of a job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am sorry for mentioning this, but  when you justify why something is not working should not resolve one ticket. It still does not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Thankyou for reaching out . I can understand the pain of adjusting each states but this is how a child should work. All the copied instances act as child which depends on parent . Untill main component default state isn't scaled, none of the instances will scaled . Till then you need to manually resize each copied state, which is also known as overridden state. Copied default state is also an instance, none of its following state is dependent on it. 

If still you want this feature need an update, please post your thought here Adobe XD: Feature Requests  and get voted .

Regards,

Anita Subedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issues is the values or properties should automatically update unless it is manually overwritten in the child element. I would assume all elements take on their parents traits unless that child is specifically set. I am running into this problem as well and it is impossible to have component states of components nested inside other components and then applying a transform. Why do I not have the ability to set component states to the same Responsive Resize setting as the master? It seems to revert the master state of this setting when even viewing the child element. This can't be expected behavior. As you stated Master should always override the states unless otherwise set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Xd sometimes this stands for Xtra Dumb... Xd is the App I'm trying really hard to understand and work with but in the end it always equals to = I HATE IT!

Reminds me so much of Muse and other Adobe failures, anyway, In the end we may have to bite the bullet and move to Figma. To keep on persevering with Xd is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, you can try really hard but in the end you know the inevitable dont you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ā€œfeatureā€ is still missing and working with components (e.q. buttons in a responsive design) is HELL on earth. Whoever came up with that behavior is clearly getting it wrong. when you resize a child of a component, in which usecase would a user want the states to remain the size of the master component and not adjust according to the applied resize!? That's plain dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the main issue is that in this instance, even non-overridden child properties related to responsive resize aren't inheritating the default state setting.

But furthermore, if someone changes a child state setting by mistake, there should be a way to revert just that setting to inherit the default state.  It better yet, a toggle for each and every parameter to specify if it should inherit from the default state or use a customized value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines