• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Design Specs - Margins and measurments

Advisor ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding it hard to work with Design Specs in terms of margins and pixel distances in general. When I have a textbox and measure the edge of the type itself to the nearest point of margin (let's say the edge of a background) to 20px inside XD, when I publish that to Design Spec and take a look at how it specifies that very same distance, I rarely get the same result, its often 1px off in either direction. Also, sometimes I get these odd measurements like 20.5px etc. There are no half pixels so I wonder why this occurs? Is Xd measuring in DP? Is it some sort of pixel density thing? There's no difference if I switch to the pt or dp measurement, it still runs the distance with decimals. Same as when it's in px mode.

When I measure distance from text to another element inside XD, is it from the edge of the container or the text inside? There's always a gap between the text and text box holding the text, this occurs in both area text and point text.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Perrybrus,

Sorry for the delay in response. If I rephrase it correctly, you are facing trouble with the measurement of the text box, as in design spec the position is different than that of actual measurements. You also see values in decimals. Could you please share the link of the prototype that you are talking about? It would help us replicate it here at our end.  

A similar issue has been raised here: - Positioning objects shows decimals – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs. Please check Peter's comments and if required, feel free to file a new bug here: - Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

I would also like to inform you that Adobe XD measures the specs in pt, px, and dp and the distance from text to other elements are measured from the edge of the container.

Hope this helps, please feel free to update this discussion in case you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Atul_Sainii

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again, I'm not at liberty to share anything. But why is that a necessity anyhow? These things I'm raising here at this forum occurs with everyone. We are a big team of designers and the stuff I'm bringing here is global. Same thing with the specs issues I'm referring to here. It's not these issues are unique or anything. If the Design Specs concept is measuring text from the edge of the container it's a big problem cause then we are not able to evaluate distances optically, it looks very wrong when measured from the edge of the text box. Some type sit different than others in XD textboxes and some text type appear differently. Like I mentioned between area text and point text. And as mentioned, switching between measuring system doesn't change anything - anytime! Px, dp, pt or whatever, it always generates the same numbers. Feedback from developers is that margins and distance measurements are basically useless. There are no half pixels so why should Design Specs specify anything in 0.5px?! It does on ALL setups here. Windows, Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines