Highlighted

[Design]-Unable to change the color of the linked assets in XD.

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created an XD file that contains my design system (With colors, components & character styles).
Next, I'd like to create a new XD document and Link Assets the Design system sheet.
While working on the new file, I tend to manually enter color codes to elements (Say, Adding bg to a button). In case of manually entering the color code (Which alsio exists in the Linked assets) the assets do not recognize the color. What I mean is, If I want to globally change my button colors from the assets panel, I'm unable to do it. Because the color in assets doesn't consider instances where manual color code was used. It only updates colors when originally colors are filled using the assets itself.

It would be really helpful if Manually entered colors would also get highlighted when user right clicks on a specific color in asset and selects "HIGHLIGHT ON CANVAS"

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Villevoye | Adobe Community Professional

Judging from both our experiences and conclusions, I'm afraid there isn't. It's designed to work in this way (albeit not the way you like it), so there's no obvious option to do it otherwise. But it might help to let the local color Highlight its instances in the document, so you can see which ones are still colored locally. Then select them all (and it sure would help if XD would let you convert highlighted into selected), and hit that linked color once...

TOPICS
Design, Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

[Design]-Unable to change the color of the linked assets in XD.

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created an XD file that contains my design system (With colors, components & character styles).
Next, I'd like to create a new XD document and Link Assets the Design system sheet.
While working on the new file, I tend to manually enter color codes to elements (Say, Adding bg to a button). In case of manually entering the color code (Which alsio exists in the Linked assets) the assets do not recognize the color. What I mean is, If I want to globally change my button colors from the assets panel, I'm unable to do it. Because the color in assets doesn't consider instances where manual color code was used. It only updates colors when originally colors are filled using the assets itself.

It would be really helpful if Manually entered colors would also get highlighted when user right clicks on a specific color in asset and selects "HIGHLIGHT ON CANVAS"

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Villevoye | Adobe Community Professional

Judging from both our experiences and conclusions, I'm afraid there isn't. It's designed to work in this way (albeit not the way you like it), so there's no obvious option to do it otherwise. But it might help to let the local color Highlight its instances in the document, so you can see which ones are still colored locally. Then select them all (and it sure would help if XD would let you convert highlighted into selected), and hit that linked color once...

TOPICS
Design, Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 15, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amulyac,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble using linked assets and changing colors in XD. I have tried to reproduce the same at my end on windows 10. Please see the attached video of my workflow and if you're not following the same workflow. Could you please share your worflow with the help of video so that we can try replicating the similar at our end?

linked asset color.gif

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Harshika, thanks for your prompt response.

Please find my workflow below, that should help you understand the problem I'm facing.

Workflow - Sample Video 

Let me know if you're able to understand my concern correctly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's important to point out that the problem only lies in the combination of using linked and local assets. Because creating a second local instance of the (same) color in the Assets is not possible (the + icon is grayed out), preventing the existence of identical color assets. So somehow the feature clearly regards linked assets as different from local ones...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your response,

When I try to create a shape for example, and manually enter the color code. It doesn't register with the linked color asset.

In my everyday workflow, there are times when I enter the color code for a specific object manually. This is because I now remember the code and just enter it without giving it a thought, instead of ideally clicking on the linked color asset to fill it.

(Also because the case with local assets is that I can still manually enter the color code and it gets registered with local color asset.)

But it doesn't work the same with linked assets and I understand that local and linked assets are kept as separate features and that's how it works.

But, is there a way I could manually enter colord and it gets linked to 'linked color asset' instead of 'local color asset'?

Is there

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 0
Amulyac LATEST
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to turn highlighted into selected would be great!

I understand there's no direct way of doing it and as you suggested, the best way would be do it by highliting and linking it to the asset.

Till we get the 'highlighted to selected' feature, I'll work around it.

Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2020 0