• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Documentation]-Discussion on XD Starter changes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else think this change next April will be the end of XD? I know I won't be using it anymore after the BS changes go through! Might as well cancel my Photoshop subscription too and move to alternate platforms. Yes?

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Hi AlWie,

Thank you for reaching out, you may see the changes starting April 2020. Feel free to take a look at this article for more information on this topic (https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/changes-to-xd-starter-plan.html). 

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying the 7.5 million exposed in the security breach were all on the free starter plan?

From what I have read, there are no guarentees whether you were paying for the 'real deal' or not.

"The exposed user data for the nearly 7.5 million accounts included email addresses, the Adobe products they subscribed to, account creation date, subscription and payment status, local timezone, member ID, time of last login, and whether they were an Adobe employee.

While no passwords or financial information such as credit card numbers were exposed, the data is sensitive enough to cause real problems for Creative Cloud users."

I gather from the statement released by Adobe that the breach happened on some prototype environment.

I am not sure what that means and would like to know more details.

https://theblog.adobe.com/security-update/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all defending Adobe on this change:
I think no one is saying that Adobe XD should be free. It's a product that's supposed to make money.
BUT
The way they are planning on making that money is just dumb. Blocking basic functionality won't make me pay, it'll make me check out the competition. I have no incentive to stay.

Figma manages to make money and still offer a good, fully functional app for free. And there ale a lot of other apps that work similary. Only when you reach a certain level skill and professionalism, you start to pay.

I'm a UI Design Instructor/Lecturer. I used to teach based on Adobe XD. But I won't make my students pay for an expensive app just at the start of their journey, I'll just switch to Figma. And they'll learn based on Figma, and will keep using Figma, and then, at some point in their career, will start paying for Figma. Not Adobe.

Not to mention that Adobe XD is a "gateway drug" that leads to other Adobe products. That's how they make money. Adobe XD on it's own isn't enough for a professional. You'll need at least Illustrator and Photoshop if you want to create proper assets like icons or photos for your products. That's where Adobe makes it's money.
Sketch and Figma (with plugins) are enough. They're just bigger, better rounded products. And that's where some people will jump. 
But Adobe will make it's money. Being such a huge monopoly might be terrible for us, users, but for them, they can't go wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: Adobe is certainly not a monopoly.

They are and used to be – at best – a very dominant brand in the print media and imaging industry. And in A/V they're a strong player. But in web and app design they're just one (even a smaller one) of many, in an ever-expanding market of developers and services.

Second: students can already have the exclusive benefit of getting the whole Adobe enchilada for just a fraction of the normal price ! Any school with official credentials can offer their students an affordable subscription plan. And that's how most students indeed learn to pick up the tool they already know, and keep working with it. So if your students or course attendees are not eligible for such a plan, then they're probably already 'in business'.

For the rest: stop telling Adobe how to run their business, or even how to hand out their freebies. If they decide to let students get started with Adobe CC for a huge discount, and retract certain free features from XD, then that's their call. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: Ok, they might not be a monopoly per se, since the world is filled with small studios and freelancers. But go ahead and try to apply for a proper design job in a first class company/studio without "Adobe Creative Cloud" on your resume. All big and medium companies have Adobe as their basic requirement, not Affinity or anything else. Just Adobe. That puts them in a position of unquestionable dominance. They set the market standards and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Second: Oh, thank god, the small percentage of people lucky enough to be able to afford a higher education in an accredited school get discounts on Adobe products. I'm so happy they're not being left behind. The thing is, a lot more people are left outside of that system: people who want/need to/are forced to change industries, jobs or extend their skillset, people that live outside of the comfortable western culture, people that want to pull themselves from a difficult situation etc. etc. Those are the people I usually train. Talented, driven, hungry for knowledge, but also desperate and often with limited resources. But thank god those collage kids get discounts.

For the rest: I'm not telling them what to do. I'm just saying that's a bad, borderline evil practice. I'm just pointing out that other companies, on the same market, with similar products, manage to get paied in a more reasonable way. And that I'm switching. Nothing more, I have literally no push on a company like Adobe. All we can do here is to vent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

about the following changes

・Saving to your computer,(though you will still be able to save to cloud,

work offline, and download a copy of your file).

Can I keep using EXPORT command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. We had a similar discussion regarding this topic in past here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/xd-starter-changes/m-p/10842694?page=2#M23388 We would suggest checking the help article mentioned in the post for more information.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using the free version for a while now and I see that some features will be in the premium version in the future. I understand the commercial route you are taking but I really want to know when these changes in the free plan take affect? so I now what and when to take some action if needed. looking forward to your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AlWie,

Thank you for reaching out, you may see the changes starting April 2020. Feel free to take a look at this article for more information on this topic (https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/changes-to-xd-starter-plan.html). 

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx mate. somehow could not find this info. thnx for the reply and have a nice one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines