Exit

Duplicating a component

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to duplicate a component. 

Now I'm doing a trick for this;
New File - Paste Component - Make Local Component and then Move to Original Document 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Hi Serkan_nesine,

Thanks for sharing the workaround for this situation, I'd request you to upvote this feature here: - https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/39094900-need-a-way-to-duplicate-master-component to add your voice and share your comments. 

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

I totally need this. This is crazy what XD can't do. SO annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree exactly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Serkan_nesine,

Thanks for sharing the workaround for this situation, I'd request you to upvote this feature here: - https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/39094900-need-a-wa... to add your voice and share your comments. 

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why this was not part of the very first release is beyond me.

And we have to vote for it? Seriously? What are computers for? I thought that automating repetitive tasks was one of the main functions.

This kind of oversight highlights how ill-conceived XD is. So there are voice interactions but I can't duplicate a component !?!?!

I can honestly say that XD is the most flawed software I've used in 25 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 'trick' doesn't work anymore, do you have any other tricks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally need this. This is crazy what XD can't do. SO annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed to copy a component but have text that didn't affect the other instances of that component, my solution was simply to add the component ctrl+x it and then paste it, it kept all the states and styles, just needed to change the text inside and boom, finished! I don't know if this helps but if anyone has the same problem as I did, this is what worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an answer to the question asked. You just created another instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKAROUND DOES NO LONGER WORK!
Unfortunatly Adobe removed the workaround for a "feature" that should have be there from the start.
So now I am not aware of any possible "solution" for the op's question.
Come on adobe, get your s** together - I recommed every client to switch away from XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This trick doesn't seem to work in quite the same way anymore, but I have just discovered this worked for me:

1. Copy the component you want to duplicate
  2. Paste into a new document. You will be told linked components no longer work. Right click the instance and click edit master component. A new master component will be added to the artboard.
  3. Go back to the original document and paste. It will paste an instance, but you can right click and select edit master component. The duplicated component will be added to the artboard.

Hopefully this will help someone :), it's a crazy way to work. I recently used Figma as I had to work with an external agency on a project and now i'm really disappointed to have to come back to XD, as this is the software used by my employer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, you can simply paste the component into a new artboard, then cut it. Go back to the original document and paste then right-click and select edit master component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg you're a hero ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally found a way to do this! This is a must feature for sure that is missing and needs to be upvoted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines