• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing an existing component without breaking all children components

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say I created a component and have a bunch of children components based on that master. I then want to add an element to the master component. There doesn't seem to be any way to do that. It doesn't seem possible to edit a component without ungrouping it, and once I do that, all the children lose the link to the master. 

what's the best way to handle this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Aah!! I see what's happening. While drawing a new rectangle, you are not entering into component's edit mode which is causing it to be placed outside. Please try double-clicking the component and then add the rectangle. 

Adding a gif for reference. Let  me know if that helps.

Master comp.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee,

Based on what i understod from your description, I tried reproducing this at my end but was able to add new elements to the master comp and i was able to see it reflecting in all instances of that master. Is it possible to add a video of this scenario so that I can have a better understanding of the issue to debug it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this video, I am trying to add a rectangle to an existing component.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aah!! I see what's happening. While drawing a new rectangle, you are not entering into component's edit mode which is causing it to be placed outside. Please try double-clicking the component and then add the rectangle. 

Adding a gif for reference. Let  me know if that helps.

Master comp.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. That worked, though not as intuitive as I would have thought. Also, to edit nested components, that solution doesn't work. Instead, you need to select an item in the nested component. Even less intuitive. Maybe something to think about moving forward. 

Thanks for the help! This made life a lot easier. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines