• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Every overlay keeps causing it to transition to the first artboard to show underneath the overlay

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first time trying out overlays, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or if this is just a bug (using the Windows 10 app), because it only happens maybe 3/4 of the time. Any of my overlays (modal popups, menu dropdowns, etc) will show the overlay fine but underneath it transitions to the first artboard. It's constant and I can't find a pattern, as it will rarely not do this behavior and it will stay on the same artboard as expected. None of the overlays are nested. Obviously this completely breaks the user experience demo...

There is also one normal transition between artboards that I have that will always flicker the first artboard for a second before finishing its transition to the correct artboard. There's only one that does this, no idea what is causing that either or if it's related.

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

I see the problem.

From the menu, your "Customers" link is wired with a dashed line to the Customers artboard, which means it's opened as an overlay. You are never leaving the Home artboard. You just don't see the Home page underneath, because the Customers artboard has a background.

When you click that "Create customer" box, you open a second overlay. The first one (Customers artboard) disappears, shows the home page briefly while fading out, and opens the second one.

To fix it, use a Tra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joren,

Thanks for reaching out. Will it be possible for you to share a small video of what exactly is happening at your end and also capturing the wires connections between the artboards in the Prototype Window? We'll try our best to help you with it.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ae you creating overlay object in new separate artboard, otherwise it will not work?

Please review this also https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/add-overlays.html#:~:text=Adobe%20XD%20allows%20you%20to,-up%20keybo....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here is a GIF of the first issue in action. You can see it always jumping to the first artboard underneath.

2020-08-28_11-19-05.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the problem.

From the menu, your "Customers" link is wired with a dashed line to the Customers artboard, which means it's opened as an overlay. You are never leaving the Home artboard. You just don't see the Home page underneath, because the Customers artboard has a background.

When you click that "Create customer" box, you open a second overlay. The first one (Customers artboard) disappears, shows the home page briefly while fading out, and opens the second one.

To fix it, use a Transition (solid blue line) from the Customers link in the menu to the Customers artboard, instead of an overlay (dashed line).

Other than that, when using overlays, the way they work is that if you open one overlay after another, they don't really have a smooth transition. The first one hides with easing out, and then the second one opens, so you always get sort of a "flicker" between them. The only workaround is to remove any animation, so they just instantly appear one after the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh crap, you are correct. I don't even know how that happened. Half my transitions were accidentally overlays. Must be because it was defaulting to that and I didn't even notice, doh. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's how it works. It defaults to the last used action. So if you made an overlay before that, your next dragged connection will default to an overlay as well 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having issues with the first artboard appearing under a third overlay within my prototype. The first two work great... only the third has the problem. I've recreated it from scratch and it still has the issue. There must be some buggy aspect to them, or I'm missing a fatal limitation of copy-paste as it relates to overlays (to build this third overlay, I copied the first overlay—which is linked to my first artboard, the one that keeps mistakenly showing up under the third overlay — and then revised the links and contents of the artboard to create my third overlay).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines