Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature request for Snap Objects/Lines to geometry in Adobe XD

New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am looking for a feature to nap objects to already existing geometry. So for example I have an existing line and want to draw a rectangle, which starts exactly at one endpoint and ends (with one side) at the other endpoint of the line (like object snap in AutoCAD for example).

For the moment I would be fine with snaping to endpoints, more advanced it would be great to have "variable" snapping to edges/lines as well.

Any help welcome.

Regards

Gregor

TOPICS
How to , Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

As I read your description, I'm honestly thinking: "this is already very well possible" !

I'm wondering what you're missing while drawing or moving objects. The Smart Guides offer more than enough visual relations and cues between the geometries of all kinds of shapes and artboards. (Snap to any segment of a line is the only thing missing.) Another thing which might be difficult, is starting new shapes at the exact end of an open vector, because XD assumes you want to move the anchor point itsel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for reaching out. This does sound like a great feature request. I found a similar request on our XD UserVoice page, I'd request you to upvote the request if it explains your concern: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/33666172-snap-to-a...

Or you can post a new request here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

As a workaround, you can use Align to pixel grid + alignment tools to align the objects.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

thanks a lot - I did both and will stick to the workaround for the time being!

Regards

Gregor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I read your description, I'm honestly thinking: "this is already very well possible" !

I'm wondering what you're missing while drawing or moving objects. The Smart Guides offer more than enough visual relations and cues between the geometries of all kinds of shapes and artboards. (Snap to any segment of a line is the only thing missing.) Another thing which might be difficult, is starting new shapes at the exact end of an open vector, because XD assumes you want to move the anchor point itself. (Locking the line helps.)

BTW: the mentioned request on UserVoice is more about having elements snap within eachother, which has been elegantly solved by the recent Responsive and Padding features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines