• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Managers and Adobe XD - Windows

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD still has such bad support for font managers in Windows, considering how good Illustrator/InDesign/After Effects handle them I am very surprised by this?

I have wanted to make the switch to XD from Illustrator for UI mockups for over a year now, but this one issue is ALL that is keeping me in AI. Having to install fonts on my system is tedious, especially when testing different fonts.

Can this please be finally put very very high on the list of very very high important things to fix?

Steps to replicate:

1) Install font manager, such as Fontbase or Nexus.

2) Activate a font, any non-system-installed font.

3) Open XD, check that it is not available,

4) rinse, repeat..

If anyone has any workarounds other than system-installing them, please let me know.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Hi Bpinnington, thanks for using Adobe XD and sharing your feedback about using font manager with Adobe XD, we have a similar request here: - Fonts not loading from Font Managers – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs, I would request you to upvote this thread and share your comments with these details so that the team may have a better understanding of this situation.

Please update this discussion in case you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bpinnington, thanks for using Adobe XD and sharing your feedback about using font manager with Adobe XD, we have a similar request here: - Fonts not loading from Font Managers – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs, I would request you to upvote this thread and share your comments with these details so that the team may have a better understanding of this situation.

Please update this discussion in case you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started working with the recent 2.9.4 update of FontBase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not work currently for me with XD 23.1.32.2, FontBase 2.10.2 and Windows 10 1903 Build 18362.

The Uservoice thread has just been closed without solving the issue despite the many many comments saying it has not been resolved...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BPinnington 🙂

Part of the font issues have to do with the final output. Eventually, a website or app needs to use 'live' (and preferably licensed) fonts. This is totally different from all 'older' media, in which fonts are rendered into print, screens, pixels, or safely embedded inside the secure containment of a PDF – not accessible for extraction. Installing fonts manually or through font managers poses no problem to make a font available for these kinds of applications and output.

But in order to build a website or an app, or even to create a 'live' preview online, fonts have to be both technically and legally available. And software from developers like Adobe needs to adhere to agreements with major font publishers. After all, it's their creation and commercial goods we're using.

Don't think of this too lightly !

Officially using, embedding, or dynamically linking to a commercial font can be costly. Just take a look at the license prices for the Dax font:

https://www.myfonts.com/licenses?type=sku&id=638231&cl=false

Do you dare to check out the web and app version ?

So simply installing or managing a font, and letting it be freely distributed by Adobe XD for a simple online previewing, is not something font distributors like to see happening. (Fortunately, this Dax is also available through Adobe cloud fonts.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why font managers are out of the question. The fonts in font managers are acquired the same way as when you have them installed (at least to my understanding) (also you can just download a font illegally, install it and use it in XD so I don't see how not supporting font managers will help in this case).

Often times font managers are just a quick way to find the right font you're looking for in a project, activating it, using it, and then if you don't need it, deactivating it. Font managers just make the process easier for example with Google fonts.

I have to admit I am not knowledgeable enough in law, but how come for example Sketch supports font managers (as you can view online previews of Sketch files as well)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's face it, using and choosing fonts is a very barren feature in Adobe XD.

No recent fonts, no categories, only filtering from the first character while typing a font name, not a single clue or on-the-fly activation of Adobe Creative Cloud fonts... So there's a lot to be wished for in this area !! Sketch (being a Mac-only application) benefits from system-based font resources, tapping into that quite easily. Maybe a bit too easy, when it comes to preventing illegal use of a certain font. But hey, that's your call.

When implementing more font features, Adobe XD could, would, and perhaps should try to prevent a lot of messy problems, questions and complaints, about fonts not being rendered correctly or not available as textual resources in online previews and prototypes, by restricting your choice in fonts to freely available ones (e.g. the Google and Adobe distributed open source fonts), or correctly licensed cloud fonts (also from Adobe or other suppliers). But that goal is running and ruining a lot of ease-of-use in many design tools from all ages, and even centuries...

I bet supporting font managers is currently the least of Adobe's priorities in this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works fine for me :

Change the Root folder location to "C:/FontBase" (or C:\FontBase — not sure if it's front or backslash)

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/how-do-i-add-fonts-to-adobe-xd/td-p/10532170?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works. Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines