• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font missing on mobile preview

Advisor ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I view my prototype via the XD mobile app I get fonts missing. I'm using Roboto, something my Android device should find attractive and my prototype is generated from an updated XD on W10 OS. When I preview the same mobile layout on desktop the font is not missing, however I get another font missing message that regards a totally different font that I'm not using in that prototype at all, as I'm only using Roboto for this project.

What's up with that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

In the web prototype, the fonts get embedded into graphics. But the XD mobile app is different. From what I understand it's loading the actual XD file and therefore needs the fonts on that device.

I think this has to do with how the live preview/updates work behind the scenes in the mobile app (as you work in XD on the desktop, the mobile app will update).

I remember watching an Adobe Demo which said that the mobile XD app is actually XD running on a mobile device, which seemed to imply some inte

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind me taking a guess about this, there is Roboto in TypeKit, and there is Roboto from various other places that you can add to Windows 10. Although they have exactly the same name, Adobe may only be embedding the ones that are licensed via TypeKit.

If you did get Roboto from TypeKit, then my guess can't be right, but if you got it from somewhere else you could disable it for the moment and try this page:

Roboto | Typekit

There is something slightly confusing on that page, there's an option to sync each version of the font, and a sync all, and an add to kit option. I think add to kit is for when using the font on a web site. I used the sync all option, and it seemed not to work, so then I did just the sync on Robot Regular, and that worked.

I don't have an Android device on me right now, but the font definitely worked to my iPhone, which doesn't normally have Roboto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get any typeface from typekit as I don't like that concept for many reasons. All of my typefaces are installed locally and my licensed fonts are all bought from vendors directly. Seems to me that XD handles type quite instable, as mentioned it gives me a different font missing message when previewed in desktop mode and another when previewed on a mobile. I thought XD embeds all the fonts used in a project automatically for prototype preview? Doesn't seem like it to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the web prototype, the fonts get embedded into graphics. But the XD mobile app is different. From what I understand it's loading the actual XD file and therefore needs the fonts on that device.

I think this has to do with how the live preview/updates work behind the scenes in the mobile app (as you work in XD on the desktop, the mobile app will update).

I remember watching an Adobe Demo which said that the mobile XD app is actually XD running on a mobile device, which seemed to imply some interesting things for the future (although I could have been reading more into that than was intended).

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's correct it will be impossible to show a hifi prototype on any mobile device, it's not like I can control what typefaces are installed on my mobile device. Are there no way to objectify types in XD so they get rendered as objects instead of fonts? I mean, that's a very dirty and non sustainable way to workaround the issue but at least that get's the autentic type going in the Ui. Other than that I think it's odd that my Samsung Android mobile don't have Androids own "brand type" Roboto installed?

I think Adobe XD should find a workaround for this. God knows how many mobile projects I have going with different brand types that the client have made WOF formats for. I really need to see hifi prototypes with authentic typefaces on authentic device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that missing fonts should not be something we have to think of when previewing on a mobile device.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that the same app I created displays the imported fonts fine on my iPad but is not working on Android mobile (8.0.0). The app was designed / created on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dan,

any development on this subject? I convinced my company to use variable fonts for our new responsive website and I have just noticed I can't even look at it on my mobile, the font is missing so there's no way to measures anything visually. I'm absolutely stunned that the fonts are not embedded on live previews...  

Pulling my hair here 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys, i struggle too with this problem of display different font Types with XD and mobile. 

For me i found a very rough solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6beRcNk0k8

I just stream my Screen from windows to my mobile device. 

Hope Adobe find a way to slove dat problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even the Roboto font does not work on my Android now previewing with XD app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone provide an actual solution to this issue, or any progress regarding solving this issue ?

@Dan Rodney Are there any plans by adobe developers on solving this issue ? It has been more than 3 years and i am still facing this issue 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got my iphone live preview to work with installing the fonts on my phone. A bit dodgy workaround but seems to do the trick until embedding is available. 

Guide on how to install fonts on your ios device. I used iFont as suggested in the post, Google fonts available from within the app, you should be able to import custom fonts from iCloud storage. 

https://thedashplanner.com/tutorials/how-to-add-fonts-to-ipad-or-iphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the share link, instead of the XD phone app. Open the mockup in my mobile browser and zoom in/out as needed. Not ideal but it's much easier than installing fonts on your phone for every different project, eff that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the issue with font not loading on the XD mobile app. Does anyone know if there is a fix from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines