• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grid overlay problem: layout/square in AdobeXD shows up on every artboard. I want it only on one.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone having this issue? If I select a particular artboard and click grid checkbox, either Layout or Square, the grid overlay shows on every artboard I have. I want to have it only on that one particular artboard. When I select another artboard and uncheck, grid disappears from every artboard. I followed XD tutorial and it was clear there was no such issue. I believe it's a bug.

TOPICS
Design , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

That tutorial was made with an older version of XD and Adobe changed it's behavior. (XD is still a rapidly developing app.) You can read about the change here https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/32254048-view-show-layout-grid-should-toggle-on-all-artbo

The reasoning behind the change is that having to turn grids on and off once for each artboard is too much work when you have a lot of artboards. It's best to hide/show them all at once. So sorry, bu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every artboard has a grid (even if you have not customized it yet). Showing and hiding the grid shows them on all artboards. This is how XD is designed to work.

Just because the grids are on the other artboards doesn't mean you have to use them.

Older versions of XD did not have grids of guides, so we had to draw our own grids with boxes and hide/show them in the layers panel. Maybe you were watching an old tutorial?

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer! The tutorial I was following is this https://creativecloud.adobe.com/learn/xd/beginner/web/get-started-with-xd/web-mobile-app-ui-ux-desig...

The very first video at timestamp 1:53 she shows how it works on her XD version and that's the behavior I want to have too. You'll notice that the grid is only on that one artboard. It makes most sense to have it that way, IMO. 

Maybe the tutorial is outdated but that's the official one on Adobe XD, that I could find at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That tutorial was made with an older version of XD and Adobe changed it's behavior. (XD is still a rapidly developing app.) You can read about the change here https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/32254048-view-show...

The reasoning behind the change is that having to turn grids on and off once for each artboard is too much work when you have a lot of artboards. It's best to hide/show them all at once. So sorry, but I don't think they are going to change back. You'll have to ignore it on the other artboards as you work on the one you want to see it on.

You could request that this become a preference, which you can do on https://adobexd.uservoice.com/

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for that answer!

I see the point in adding that feature. I don't see the point in not including the option to turn it off on per artboard basis. Thanks for the links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, reading the request I didn't realize that many people wanted it. Apparently people who work with XD extensively, unlike me who is just now starting out. Nice to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines