• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High Application Memory usage while working in XD on macOS Catalina after the update.

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just want to let you know that after updating my XD to the latest version 26.0.22, the app lagged and stuttered. It has slowed down considerably in which opening up 3 files at the same time with around 50 artboards each hogged my memory so much and render it almost unusable. 

I tried to revert back to the previous version but it won't allow me to open the same files anymore, since they were created in the latest XD version. Can you kindly take a look at this problem? Speed of production is really important and it's one of the main reason I switched to XD from other app.

Thank you so much:)

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Crash on mac , Open and save docs , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear that you've started facing the issue again with high memory consumption while using XD on macOS. We would request you yo please uninstall the application using Adobe Cleaner Tool(https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html)

Once uninstalled, please re-install and check how it works. If this doesn't help, please share a few more details like:

• A screenshot of the About XD info page.
  • The version of the Operating System.
  • Is it sl

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we're sorry you're having trouble with Adobe XD. What version of the software are you using? Could you list the characteristics of your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble. In addition to what Italo has asked, we would also request you to please check out the correct answer to this post and try the steps suggested. If that doesn't help, please share the information asked in the post.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is going on with Adobe XD?!
110gb !?

gerardop39527539_0-1597352525876.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please address this issue? what is going on with this spike of application memory use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerard,

We are sorry for the frustration. Would you mind trying the steps suggested in the correct answer to this post? If that doesn't help, please share the details asked so that we can escalate the information to the team for further investigation.

We will try our best to help you.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Preran,

I have also encountered this problem and I've experimented by creating a new file that doesn't have many artboards and I am experiencing the same increasing lag and trouble zooming in and out, selecting objects and typing. My PC is more than capable to run this program, however, I've noticed my computer is idling at 9.1GB ram usage with only XD open (32GB available). It's reaching a point where I can't use the product for simple tasks. I have performed everything that is contained in this thread, with no improvement in performance.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon, 

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the suggestion shared here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/high-application-memory-usage-while-working-in-xd-on-macos-c...

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same issue. I'm running on mac 10.15.6, with the latest XD version. And the basic features for XD like moving from one artboard to another, zooming, copy elements, etc., is very slow and lagging. XD is consuming up to 380 CPU. Our IT looked into the issue and said there was nothing external that was happening to cause the XD lag. 

The XD files are all cloud base and are large files, with multiple artboards, component and elements. 

It's impossible to work in the files, sometimes takes 20 minutes just to copy one element from one XD file to another XD file.

Please help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The team has logged a bug for this issue and was investigating on the issue. After the investigation, the team found out that it might be causing because of the large components in the file.  You will definitely see the improvements in the future release of XD. For now, it is suggested to reduce the number of nested components and/or number of states in their files.

Please let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

thank you for looking into this. I am a new user of XD and have VERY few components. I even tried deleting all my components and I still had the problem. 

Hoping the update comes out soon!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Someone I'm supporting is experiencing ram usage in excess of 30GB when using XD as it doesn't seem to release any memory over time. This is after uninstalling and disabling plugins. Has anyone else experienced this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the suggestions shared here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/high-application-memory-usage-while-working-in-xd-on-macos-c...

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, while waiting for the latest update to fix this bug, I'll be exploring Figma, it's easier that way. Thank you:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markxtang_0-1598407983413.png

Just want to add that this is happening to me as well. I've encountered the error when using heavy files as well as files with hardly anything in it. I hope you guys can help fix it, it's killing my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm also experiencing the exact same issues. I've been using Xd for months and this has only started happening. 

Sometimes it says it's using 64gb of ram and above. I get an OS error message saying that my mac has ran out of memory. I opened Activity Monitor to find Xd using obscene amounts of memory.

It doesn't matter if the file is small or large, one artboard or many, prototyped or not, with a lot of components, very few or none at all.

Is there a fix for the problem yet? I'm on Xd version 32.0.22.11

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria,

We apologize for the frustration. The team is aware of the issue and is working on it . You will definitely see improvements in the future releases of XD.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well and I tell you it's more than just crushing the work day to have to debug your program. MY TRUST IN YOUR BRAND IS BEING ERODED. This is exactly what I DO NOT WANT TO DO TODAY... help you debug your application... FOR FREE... as a matter of fact, I AM PAYING YOU TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR BUGS!
Here are the basics:
XD v. 32.1.22
Windows 10 64-bit
Both Cloud and Local are impacted

Task Mgr reveals: 3,098 Megs of memory consumption

C: 22Gigs of free space

On the artboard, I do have an 8x8 repeating grid (filling a 1200 x 1920px rectangle) as part of some documentation I am putting together. I offer no apologies and no I will not consider doing it another way. If this is a limitation of the software then fix it so it can't be implemented by users.

So sick of junk software being thrown into the marketplace. Stop shoving new functionality into the product and address the functionality you have and spend the next 6 months addressing your backlogged bug list!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add that since updating XD to version 33.1.12, I haven't seen this memory issue. I can't speak for all users, but for me, the update fixed the problem. So big thank you to all you devs at Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that you're no longer facing the issue and thanks for confirming it here. Please feel free to reach out to us in the future for any query related to XD.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since installing XD 34.0.12, XD has become unusable. In these screenshots, I am just trying to open up a local file that is 97 mb. Both CPU % & Memory are high and is causing the program to not respond. I have to wait around 10 minutes for the file to even open.Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 9.32.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-21 at 9.32.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having a similar problem as many have posted here - while using Adobe XD, the RAM consumed by the program spikes higher and higher until I have to force-quit the application. I would like advice to resolve this as I and my design team rely on XD exclusively for all our product design files, and switching to a new design software ecosystem is prohibitive – but we cannot currently perform our design duties well for our company.

Details:

• macOS Catalina 10.15.7
  • Adobe XD 34.1.12
  • Opening one design file at a time will often allow us to edit the file without XD crashing
  • Opening a second file at the same time almost always causes the fatal memory spike
  • Other actions that can cause a crash: zooming in, copying and pasting, performing multiple functions in quick successsion
  • All our design files are linked to a central design system library file in XD
  • Have tested different combinations of opening two individual files at the same time, so I do not think it is related to the individual files
  • Have tried closing all other applications while using XD (not really practical anyway)
  • Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling XD through the Creative Cloud window (this briefly added some stability which has eroded again)
  • Have tried restarting the Mac multiple times
  • Two other members of my design team are experiencing similar difficulties with the program
  • XD worked pretty flawlessly for us up until the update at MAX last week

Screencaptures from Activity Monitor attached; the first (XD using ~1.5GB) is with one file open, the second (XD using ~110GB) is with two files open

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 4.23.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-29 at 4.31.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having this issue today, 11/2/2020

I have Adobe XD version 34.2.12.2 on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Getting the:
'The following Components contain more than 20,000 layers across different States. For optimal performance, we recommend reducing the number of layers or States in these Components.'

Saying Component 24, which I don't think exists unless I later renamed it to something. 

XD starts eating up my memory and start moving at a snails pace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also uninstalled and re-installed Adobe XD, there is no way that I'm usinf more than 20,000 layers in my project let alone in a single component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Team,
I am having a similar problem as many have posted here.

- macOS Catalina 10.15.7
- XD Version 34.2.12.2
-The XD file is cloud base and is large file, with multiple artboards, component and elements. 
- Opening design file (Local and Cloud) take at least 40 sec
- Working in the file is nearly impossible. It take to long to execute a command.
- Updating a published link / Saving the file on Cloud take at least 55 sec
- Prototype is to slow: the user experience testing ist no longer possible
- Have tried closing other applications, uninstalling and reinstalling XD but no changes at all

Please Help!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated to the latest XD - nope it doesn't solve the issue. XD Team please look into this, so hard to just do basic function!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines