• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I open a file (in XD) in a older Version?

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files are all made in a newer version of xd.  (24.3.22)

I have to work on the files in my school,  but theres an older version installed.  When I try to open my file on the pc in school,  theres a report that says, "The file can not open in this version" (so similar).

The school can not update the progam, because they have an other license...

So: how can I open this files in older versions?  or, should I create my next file in an other version on my pc?        Does somebody has any idea?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Hello JB Home,

We are sorry to hear you're facing trouble. There's no way to save XD files as a specific version,  XD file it is auto-upgraded and can no longer be opened in previous versions. Please update the xd with the latest version and try to open the file.

Regards,

Arpitha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. I am afraid, we don't have an option to open a file created in a newer version of XD on an older version of XD as we revise our document format when we release a new version to support new features. Having said that, we have received similar requests on our Adobe XD UserVoice: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38322424-save-as-older-version

Please upvote to add voice to the feature.

Regards

Ri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JB Home,

We are sorry to hear you're facing trouble. There's no way to save XD files as a specific version,  XD file it is auto-upgraded and can no longer be opened in previous versions. Please update the xd with the latest version and try to open the file.

Regards,

Arpitha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

My MacOS is (really) old and AdobeCloud doesn't let me update Xd. No solutions for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, this is really a bummer. I'm getting a new computer but not till Christmas and I need to do this now 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yikes.

there should be some kind of schedule warning if adobe decides to scrap supporting legacy technology. simply saying "sorry" after the fact is just not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT an acceptable solution!

Many people is using older machines and cannot afford to use always the very latest software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you mark it as a solved when the problem is not solved? This is not the right solution. I have old iMac where I can not update my Mac OS because of SMART error of my disk and that is why I use older version. For me it's comfortable to use iMac because of big screen. Today I opened my XD file on my Macbook for my presentation, where XD was updated automatically and the file was saved automatically where it caused the same problem. Now, I can not work thanks to your solution. Why do you force people buy/use new hardwares while you are software developers not the OS developers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - pretty much across the all the CC applications - none of the latest versions can be upgraded on my Mac. Others in my team have now upgraded meaning I can't open the files saved. This not helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no answer from Adobe? They can't be serious with that.  

I have the same problem with an older Mac in the office at home, where I should continue the work in an older version of Adobe XD.

The designs I made in the office can't be opened an edited here. So I can't do my work with this product, or have to rebuild it all.

This rebuilding could be done maybe in Sketch too?

Is there maybe an answer from Adobe to their paying clients?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. I am afraid, we don't have an option to open a file created in a newer version of XD on an older version of XD as we revise our document format when we release a new version to support new features. Having said that, we have received similar requests on our Adobe XD UserVoice: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38322424-save-as-o...

Please upvote to add voice to the feature.

Regards

Rishabh

<Marking as correct only to highlight feature request>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS UTTER NONSENSE!

F*** YOU ADOBE!

YOU CONTINUE TO MAKE YOUR SOFTWARE WORSE AND WORSE AND WORSE!

THANK GOD OTHER PLAYERS ARE COMING INTO THE PICTURE TO MAKE ADOBE OBSOLETE. WE ARE MOVING OUR ENTIRE AGENCY TO FIGMA AND SKETCH BECAUSE ADOBE IS GARBAGE THAT DOES NOTHTING TO SUPPORT THEIR USERS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We launched a service that converts a file to be compatible with an older version: https://xd2sketch.com/open-xd-file-old-corrupted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Money grab from all corners what a joke 29 dollar for  the XD file .Time to move to another program Figma HERE I COME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm going to have to join you on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would pay for sure, but I would never update my work file into an unknown web server. It should be a plugin or something like that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately your service doesn't ACTUALLY WORK! 
Here's a screenshot of an order I just placed...

imgpsh_mobile_save.jpg

Well.. looks like there goes my $29 BYE BYE!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT DOEST´N WORK!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an idea: That is called figma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD is a big failure. If someone has a system of low configuration, then his work is bound to get stuck in the middle of his work. There isn't any way to open a newer version in an older software version. But there is a solution you can open your file in Photopea and export it in PSD i.e. is in photoshop format and work in photoshop instead. But for this, you will have to pay some amount to Photopea. Here's the link: https://www.photopea.com/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the following and it worked.

1. In the latest version, Select all the individual pages. Once all the pages are selected then copy them.

2. Uninstall the latest version.

3. Install the older version (in my case was version 45).

4. Open XD and create a new file.

5. Paste the pages you copied that you have on the clipboard.

6. Save it and give it a name.

That works in my Macbook Pro Intell in late 2015.

Hope that works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melvyn,

Thanks for sharing the workaround, I am sure it will help other community members, we appreciate your participation here.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have 2 macs with the same account/apple ID, you can copy from the newer XD mac to an older XD on the other mac (via shared Apple pasteboard) and it will bring over the  elements. Photos don't seem to transfer, but text and objects do. Components seem to work as well if you copy them specifically form a pasteboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can someone with an older verison of xd open an xd file which is of a newer version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO no way. You need new version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yaseen5FE4,

Thank you for reaching out. As Ares rightly said, you can also join our discussion here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd-discussions/how-can-i-open-a-file-in-xd-in-a-older-version/t... which might help you.

We will also pass your feedback with the team.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines