• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add a drop shadow to an AI file. Help!

New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with importing a High-res logo. Thankfully it is Vector and not a crappy jpg. SO - How do I add a drop shadow to an AI file. It seems strange I can't do that or even import an EPS. What is the reasoning so I can get on board with it. Are EPSs becoming "old school"?

But more importantly, how do you add a drop shadow to the AI? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

You can't add drop shadows to groups in XD (whether they are shapes from Illustrator or elements created originally in XD). If you select a shape a single shape in the group you can add a shadow, but not to the entire group. One workaround that sometimes works is to use Illustrator's Pathfinder feature to merge things into a single path, but that's not always an option.

Please upvote this feature request if you'd like to see this fixed XD User Voice: Ability to put a shadow on grouped elements

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like you're trying to add a drop shadow to an Illustrator file in XD. Please see the steps mentioned in this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/set-border-color-shadow.html#Createadropshadow

If you want to drop shadows with in Illustrator, please check out thi article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/create-drop-shadow.html

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

When I have the AI (illustrator vector) selected I don't get the option to apply a drop shadow. This is where the problem is. Please see attached.

Adobe XDAdobe XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. Is it possible for you to share the Ai file and XD file with me separately for testing purpose. Please upload the file to a shared location such as Creative Cloud or Dropbox and share the url with me over a private message.

Note: Please share the url of the post over a PM for reference.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't add drop shadows to groups in XD (whether they are shapes from Illustrator or elements created originally in XD). If you select a shape a single shape in the group you can add a shadow, but not to the entire group. One workaround that sometimes works is to use Illustrator's Pathfinder feature to merge things into a single path, but that's not always an option.

Please upvote this feature request if you'd like to see this fixed XD User Voice: Ability to put a shadow on grouped elements 

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Dan. Hopefully that is something Adobe will fix in the future. I understand the problem but there should be a way to treat it as single path/group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines