• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a mobile app using Adobe XD?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!!

Once I've developed an app in XD, how can I put it on AppStore and Google Play?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

I am not an Xd Xpert, but my understanding is that you would never do that. Xd is for saving you months of programming time while you work out how the app should function. Once there is sign off on how the Xd prototype works, developers would make a real app do the same thing.

Here's an article on how to export your assets so that developers can make the real thing:

Learn how to export production-ready assets from Adobe Experience Design as PNG, SVG, and PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an Xd Xpert, but my understanding is that you would never do that. Xd is for saving you months of programming time while you work out how the app should function. Once there is sign off on how the Xd prototype works, developers would make a real app do the same thing.

Here's an article on how to export your assets so that developers can make the real thing:

Learn how to export production-ready assets from Adobe Experience Design as PNG, SVG, and PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This, right here, is the #2 reason why I don't subscribe to Creative Cloud.  Adobe makes designing and creating content for a mobile app really simple and intuitive, then tell us we have to spend a few years studying Xcode, Swift and other programming skills to turn our already-working app design into a real app.  What a waste of potential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe offers design solutions. If it was as easy as designing an app or a website and it turning into the real deal with all the requirements magically met, developers would be unnecessary, when in reality they're in high demand. What you're expecting Adobe to do in order not to "waste potential" is quite simply not possible with current technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's like saying because anyone can use Photoshop and Illustrator real photographers and designers would be unnecessary.  App developers and programmers will always be in demand because they can do a better job of making and app than an automated system, but that's no reason to ignore the automated system.  Because developers are in such demand it's virtually impossible for small designers to hire one.  You may work for a large design firm that has dozens of developers and programmers who will cater to your every design whim, but in the real world most Adobe users have probably never met a programmer, much less be able to afford one for creating a single app.

As for not being possible with current technology, that's not true.  There are several ways Adobe could turn XD projects into actual mobile apps which is why the current situation is so frustrating.  It's like they are purposely ignoring this feature regardless of the potential, much like they go out of their way to reject sound in web pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we could use Flash, it was that easy. When they stopped Flash, they tied our hands and made us go back to the old school.

Macromedia did a brilliant job when they created Flash, and now Adobe has split it into 4 or 5 different pieces of software, that still can not really be used.

I miss Flash! It made creative, interactive website creation easy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet it is that simple. Might want to research Appy Pie and the many other services that you can actually create an app as simple as drag and drop and cut and paste. Adobe can do this. But they won't. That erases an entire market of programmers when apps are everything right now. It quite simply is possible. I paid for one of the services and I have full control. Even can send push notifications from my phone. It's expensive but Adobe XD was just a waste of time. It's like gathering all the shredded paper for a collage and asking someone else to paste it together for you when in fact Adobe has the technology to do the same thing Appy Pie and many other quick app creation tools have done. They, again, won't.

I normally don't reply but when someone so matter of factly agrees with the corporate greed of multibillion dollar companies unnecessary withholding of technology that might encourage the possiblity of that one app that could change everything.. I just have to. Image someone telling Zuckerberg that he could write his idea of Facebook down on a piece of paper but there was no reasonable way to code it. Humanity would've been in the Dark Ages still. So thanks Adobe. You're genius for releasing something we were already doing in Microsoft Paint. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're might be right, but sometimes when you own a big company, that specializes on taxi market, one day you will think about something more than just Adobe's designing and creating stuff. Few months ago, we asked ourselves how to create an app like uber , to make it reliable, with a lot of innovative features, and would it be worth to hire a separate dev team to make it for us? Long story short, we've found a dev team, that offered us really nice mobile app conceptions, and they built it from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by Any chance, can you share the Dev team that you worked with and explain time and cost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eryka123, there is an excellent team available for mobile apps and web at abovebits.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we know we can design the prototype with Adobe XD, but can we devekop an app? yes or no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shirin,

XD is a wireframe an prototype tool. Everything you do will have to be recreated by a developer. You can create a design in XD and share with the developer to create an app with the help of code.

Hope it answers your question.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika

What do you mean is that after we design for android on adobe xd we have to make the code or transfer it to other IDE programs / software?

Thanks,

Asgara Jr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Asgara,

Thanks for reaching out. Yes, as mentioned by Harshika, we can design an interactive prototype of an application in Adobe XD, and then to develop the application you can code it in a third-party application or you can share it with a developer to code for you.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rishabh_Tiwari,

Does Adobe have any apps where we can code to develop mobile apps? Similarly, which Adobe app creates websites? I'm not looking to prototype, I'm looking to build & productionalize mobile apps & web-sites.

thanks for your help!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out. For developing a mobile application, you will need to use any Third Party application to code however for website development you can explore Adobe Dreamweaver. For more information on Dreamweaver, you can refer to this user guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/user-guide.html

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh
Thank you for the attention given. 
Following the description you provided, I will look for a tutorial on using Dreamweaver because I am not experienced in using it.
And if you have it directly step by step please can share with me. Thank you very much for the explanation.

Regards,
Asgara Jr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Asgara,

I found some tutorial on Dreamweaver which will help you to get a start, please check this out: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/tutorials.html

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

thank you for the guide you provided. As a beginner I will follow the tutorial and will send the results.

I will be glad if you are willing to discuss by sending you an email.

Regards,

Asgara Jr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Asgara, 

Regarding Dreamweaver, you can always post your query here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/dreamweaver

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

Thanks for the response! I have one more question regarding Adobe XD. Is there a way to export what I've built/prototyped in Adobe XD to a code that can be usable by a coder? For example, export to Javascript, HTML, CSS, etc.? Since the point of this software is to build the skeleton or prototype, I'm hoping the XD software can do that. Especially since all assets have coordinates, HEX color palette settings, etc. that should hopefully be logged in the software while building the prototypes.

If not, I highly suggest this be added in future releases of Adobe XD.

🙂

Regards,

John Cardona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I am afraid, as of now, that feature is not available in XD however we have received a similar request on Adobe XD UserVoice, I'd request if you can upvote these request:

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/13057005-export-wh...

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/32004511-convert-t...

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Supporters,

As of Sep. 2021, havent you found a solution to these yet? IS XD only for prototyping? Is there now any way of exporting to cod, or to publish almost directly to a play store or downloadable from web as a functional app?

Thanks for your time.

SR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

thanks so much! I also found a plugin that I think may work for me. The plugin is called "React Exporter". This turned my prototype into .js files. When I looked into the js files, I was able to see all of the dimensions, coordinates, colors, etc. of my prototype!!

Capture.PNG

I handed this code over to my developer (as he uses REACT to build UIs) and the developer believes it may work after installing a couple of packages into REACT. If this works, then this is a good solution for designers that want a quick turnaround in UI developement (assuming the developer is using REACT to build UIs). I'm still waiting to hear back from the developer, but I'm crossing my fingers 🙂

John Cardona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this John. It will surely help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines